NOTE: Students who have graduated from high school in New York, or who have completed a New York State GED program, should check to see if they meet the requirements to submit an abbreviated application, below.
How To Apply
- Complete the Application for New York State Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes (PDF) and compile all related documentation.
- Mail all forms and documentation to:
Office of the Bursar - Residency Applications
State University of New York at Old Westbury
P.O. Box 210
Old Westbury, NY 11568-0210
Applications should be accompanied by at least three (3) forms of supporting documentation as requested in the application.
Residency Application Deadlines:
- Summer June 1st
- Fall September 15th
- Winter December 15th
- Spring February 15th
Note: Applications received after the deadline dates will be considered for the next term.
We ask that you do not submit original copies of any documentation. Our office will be unable to return any original documentation submitted.
We also ask that you minimize the number of staples used on your application, and avoid attaching post-it notes or other annotation tabs to the application form. Please complete your application in blue or black ink. We also ask that do not use pencil to complete your application.
Express Application for New York High School Graduates / GED Holders
Students who have graduated from a high school in New York State, or have completed a New York State GED program may submit an abbreviated application assuming they meet the following criteria:
- Have graduated from a New York State high school;
- Attended a New York State high school for at least 2 full years;
- Applied to the University within five (5) years of receiving their high school diploma.
- Attended and completed an approved New York State program for a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) exam preparation;
- Received a GED from the State of New York;
- Applied to the University within five (5) years of receiving their GED.
Students who meet the criteria set forth above may submit an Express New York State Resident Tuition Application (PDF). All others should complete a regular application.
NOTE: Students without lawful immigration status who have graduated from high school in New York should also submit the express application. Such students should also complete the "Affidavit of Intent" that is included as part of that application.
Review Process and Timeline
All applications are reviewed in the order of receipt in the Office of the Bursar. Incomplete applications, applications that have not been signed and notarized, as well as applications received without sufficient supporting documentation, will delay a response.
Processing times will vary depending on application volume. It can take between 2-4 weeks to receive an initial response on your application.