FAQ - Bursar

Where can I get information about billing and payment and how can I pay the bill?

You can log onto the College's ConnectOW Portal (http://connect.oldwestbury.edu) to access your E-bill under Manage My Account Card, and information regarding billing and payment. Billing and payment information can also be found in the College’s Online Course Schedule. Payments can be made on-line using Visa, MasterCard and Discover Credit cards or a checking account. You can also sign up for a payment plan if you cannot pay right away. Please note that the Bursar's Office does not send out paper bills. All billing is done electronically.

What happens if I don’t pay my bill by the due date?

If your payment is not received by the due date or your financial aid (if you are eligible) is not in an authorized status to be applied to your outstanding balance in full, your registration for the semester may be cancelled (financial cancellation).  To re-enroll, you must have full payment, financial aid awards/loans or a payment plan to pay the balance in full.  In addition you will be changed a $50 fee to reinstate your courses. You can check the status of your aid along with any outstanding requirements needed to complete your financial aid package on the My Financial Aid Card within the Connect OW Portal.

Will the College alert me of my balance?

Yes. You will receive various communications before the late payment fees and holds placed upon your academic record. The Bursar's Office will send emails alerting you that your e-bill is available. The e-bill will indicate your balance due and the payment due date. Targeted messages are also posted on the portal and emails are sent to your campus email address. These messages advise that if payment is not received by the due date, course cancellations will be processed to your student account and academic record.


When will the College send me a bill; how often?

For the Fall semester, e-bills are usually available the first week in July and in the beginning of December for the Spring semester. E-bills are generated weekly after the initial billing cycle and monthly after the semester begins. Billing for Summer sessions and the Winter intersessions is done in a condensed timeframe and varies based on the number of sections offered and the duration of these sessions. Please note that the Bursar's Office does not send out paper bills. All billing is done electronically.

Why would a hold be placed on my account?

There are different reasons why a hold would be placed on your account although the primary reason would be because you have an outstanding balance due. Holds on accounts can be due to unpaid tuition, fees, room charges, library fines, meal plans, traffic fines, non-return of athletic equipment, or other reasons. If any of those situations apply to you, there will be a hold on your account until the financial obligation or departmental requirement is satisfied.

Can I go on a payment plan to avoid having late payment fees assessed to my student account and holds placed on my academic record? How?

Yes. Payment plans are available for the Fall and Spring Semesters and can be set up online at connect.oldwestbury.edu under the Manage My Account Card, Payment Plan Options. If you open a two payment plan you must pay 50% of the balance due immediately with the remainder due by the midpoint of the semester. If you choose the three payment plan you must pay one-third of the balance due with the remaining balance split in two payments. There is a non-refundable fee of $25.00 per semester for the payment plan. There are no payment plans for the Winter and Summer Sessions.

I am expecting a refund of financial aid. When will I be issued a refund check?

Refunds due to financial aid exceeding the tuition and fees charges for the semester are normally processed within two weeks of the aid being disbursed to a student account. If you have not received the excess aid, please contact the Bursar’s Office by writing to bursar@oldwestbury.edu.

Refunds may be processed directly to your bank account via the secure e-Refund process set-up in the Old Westbury Portal, (http://connect.oldwestbury.edu).​​under the Manage My Account Card​​. We encourage you to sign up for this process to receive your refund in a more timely manner. Learn about e-Refund process.

Why does financial aid show up in my account but the Bursar’s Office says it’s not there?

Your aid may have been recently processed or is still being processed. Another reason may be that you have not completed all the financial aid requirements so your aid is not in an authorized status. Aid is considered to be in an authorized status when all financial aid requirements (ex. electronic acceptance of your award letter; a completed promissory note on file; copies of tax transcripts submitted if selected for verification; etc.) are met. Depending on the type of aid you have, this can take up to three to four weeks. Until your aid becomes authorized, the Bursar’s Office will not be able to see or credit any aid to your account.

Where and when can I get an ID card?

ID cards are issued by the Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC).  Contact ASC staff members to find out how to begin the ID process remotely and to make an appointment to visit the Panther Center, located in the Campus Center building, Room H-140.  ASC staff members can be reached via phone at (516) 628-5088 or e-mail ASC@oldwestbury.edu.​​​​

When will parking permits be available and where can I get one?

Parking permits are available at the start of each semester and can be ordered and purchased online using a credit or debit card.

  1. Log into the ConnectOW Portal (http://connect.oldwestbury.edu).
  2. Click on the Parking and Transportation Card.
  3. Select the “Order Parking Permit” icon.
  4. Apply for your permit

The cost is $16.00 for the first vehicle and $8.00 for each additional vehicle.   Please note that parking permits are now virtual, so a physical decal will not be issued.  The University Police will be able to scan your license plate to determine if you have bought a parking permit.  For other Parking Permit Frequently Asked Questions, go to the University Police Department website.

Why did I receive a 1098-T tax form? Am I eligible to claim a tax credit?

The 1098-T form shows the total amount of payment made toward qualified tuition and related expenses for a student in a calendar year. It is intended to assist you or your parents in the preparation of the federal income tax return. The College provides this form each year (it must be postmarked by January 31st) because your higher education expenses may be eligible for federal tax benefits. The College cannot advise you as to your eligibility for any of the tax credits. Your tax preparer or the Internal Revenue Service at www.irs.gov can best advise you about this form when preparing your taxes.

If you have further questions please contact the Bursar’s Office at 516-876-3000, Option 2. Our Office is located in the Student Services Center, Room H-100B, Campus Center upper level of the Atrium.