The Department’s main curriculum goal is to train our students to be problem solvers, critical thinkers, and life long learners. To achieve this goal, we offer a broad variety of courses serving the needs of all majors at SUNY College at Old Westbury.
For Liberal Art students we offer mathematics proficiency and computer literacy courses in which mathematics and information technology ideas, many of them are quite applicable and intuitive, are studied to enable students to become educated citizens.
Many students in more quantitative majors, from Business to Physics, take a series of mathematics and computer science courses required by their respective departments. These courses are offered by the Mathematics & CIS department, and the course content is tailored to fit these students’ specialties and backgrounds.
The department offers three undergraduate majors and two undergraduate minors:
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Science
- Minor - Mathematics
- Minor - Computer Science
The department also collaborates with the School of Education on the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Adolescence Education - Mathematics (7-12)
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Adolescence Education - Mathematics (7-12)
- Master of Science in Adolescence Education – Mathematics (7-12)
For students in these programs, we offer courses that cultivate quantitative and technical skills, and develop a conceptual grasp of the underlying theory. In addition to course studies, students may practice their knowledge and skills in internship programs or research projects.