Staffed by professional and peer tutors, the Math Learning Center (MLC) provides free tutoring and support services for students enrolled in mathematics courses at SUNY Old Westbury. The MLC also houses a library of textbooks for use in the Math Learning Center.
During the Fall and Spring Semester, the Math Learning Center hours are:
- Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- The Center is closed during the summer and winter sessions.
Instructions for MS Teams
- From a desktop machine: To download MS teams to your desktop, go to portal.office.com. Then, log-in using your Old Westbury username and password. Once you’re in the office portal, click on the Team’s icon. Watch this video to learn more about how to maneuver through MS Teams using your desktop.
- From a smartphone: To download MS Teams to your iOS or android, go to your app store and search MS Teams. Click and download the app. Open app and log-in with your Old Westbury username and password. Watch this video for more information on navigating MS Teams using your smartphone.
Math Placement Test
The Mathematics and Computer Information Sciences Department offers an online test that may be used for placement only. Students take the test at home and use it for placement into a higher level math course. However, students still needing math proficiency will not satisfy the proficiency requirement until they take and pass another math course or pass the Math Proficiency Exam.
SUNY Old Westbury uses the online testing company Mobius to host its Math Placement Test.
After going to the Mobius site for the first time:
- Visit "Create an Account"
- Submit your First Name, Last Name, and College Email address
- Follow any additional instructions to create an account with the testing company (Mobius)
- Purchase access.
After purchasing access students will be enrolled in Math Placement Test 2021-2022 and can take the placement test immediately or return to the Mobius site later to log in and take the test at another time.
2021-2022 Math Placement Tests
In Math Placement Test 2021-2022, there are three tests:
- OW College Algebra Readiness Test: This test is on Introductory Algebra. (MA1010-Powertrack) Students passing the test may register for College Algebra. If they wish to be placed at a higher level, they may go on to the Precalculus Readiness Test.
- OW Precalculus Readiness Test: This test is on College Algebra. (MA1020) Students passing the test may take MA2080 –Precalculus for Business, or MA2090-Precalculus. If they wish to be placed at a higher level, they may go on to the Calculus Readiness Test.
- OW Calculus Readiness Test: This test is on Precalculus. Students passing this test may take a proctored exam in Precalculus to order to be placed into MA2300-Calculus for Business, or MA2310 Calculus.
Proctored Precalculus Placement Test Information
If you have passed all three parts of the online placement test, and are ready to take the proctored precalculus test, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. The email must come from your Old Westbury email account, and include your student ID number and phone number.
Students should plan to complete the placement exam at least three days before planning to register. Registration will not be possible until scores are manually entered into the college online registration system.
If you have any questions you can email email@example.com.
Math Proficiency Exam
The Mathematics and Computer Information Sciences Department offers a proctored Proficiency Exam once each semester. This exam will place students into MA2080 or MA2090 and satisfy the College’s Math Proficiency Requirement.
The next exam is scheduled for Thursday, October 28, 2021.
To register for the Math Proficiency Exam, contact firstname.lastname@example.org by October 21, 2021.