Staffed by professional and peer tutors, the Math Learning Center (MLC) provides free tutoring and support services for students enrolled in mathematics courses at SUNY Old Westbury. The MLC also houses a library of textbooks for use in the Math Learning Center.
For Spring 2022, the Math Learning Center hours are:
|In-Person (Walk-in/Appointment)||In-Person (Appointment Only)||Virtual (Appointment Only)|
|Monday, 10 am to 1 pm, 5:30 pm to 7 pm||Monday, 9 am to 10 am, 1 pm to 5 pm||Monday, 9 am to 12 pm|
|Tuesday, 12 pm to 6 pm||Tuesday, 9 am to 12 pm||Tuesday, 11 am to 5 pm, 6 pm to 8 pm|
|Wednesday, 10 am to 1 pm, 5:30 pm to 7 pm||Wednesday, 9 am to 10 am, 1 pm to 5 pm||Wednesday, 9 am to 12 pm|
|Thursday, 12 pm to 6 pm||Thursday, 9 am to 12 pm||Thursday, 11 am to 5 pm, 6 pm to 8 pm|
Virtual tutoring is by appointment only. In-person tutoring is by appointment and walk-in. Walk-in tutoring is based on tutor availability. You MUST be logged into your Old Westbury account to schedule an appointment.
If you are having trouble with the scheduler, you can submit an appointment request using the forms below.
THERE IS LIMITED AVAILABILITY FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE TUTORING FOR THE REST OF THE SEMESTER. TUTORS ARE AVAILABLE DURING THE FOLLOWING TIMES:
M/W 10:45-12:45, 1:30-3:30, 5:30-7
T/R 1:30-3:30, 6:00-8:00 (VIRTUAL ONLY)
Information on Math Placement and Proficiency can be found below.
math placement tests
The Mathematics and Computer Information Sciences Department offers an online test that may be used for placement only. Students take the test at home and use it for placement into a higher level math course. However, students still needing math proficiency will not satisfy the proficiency requirement until they take and pass another math course or pass the Math Proficiency Exam.
SUNY Old Westbury uses the online testing company Mobius to host its Math Placement Test.
After going to the Mobius site for the first time:
- Visit "Create an Account"
- Submit your First Name, Last Name, and College Email address
- Follow any additional instructions to create an account with the testing company (Mobius)
- Purchase access.
After purchasing access students will be enrolled in Math Placement Test 2021-2022 and can take the placement test immediately or return to the Mobius site later to log in and take the test at another time.
2021-2022 Math Placement Tests
In Math Placement Test 2021-2022, there are three tests:
- OW College Algebra Readiness Test: This test is on Introductory Algebra. (MA1010-Powertrack) Students passing the test may register for College Algebra. If they wish to be placed at a higher level, they may go on to the Precalculus Readiness Test.
- OW Precalculus Readiness Test: This test is on College Algebra. (MA1020) Students passing the test may take MA2080 –Precalculus for Business, or MA2090-Precalculus. If they wish to be placed at a higher level, they may go on to the Calculus Readiness Test.
- OW Calculus Readiness Test: This test is on Precalculus. Students passing this test may take a proctored exam in Precalculus to order to be placed into MA2300-Calculus for Business, or MA2310 Calculus.
Proctored Precalculus Placement Test Information
If you have passed all three parts of the online placement test, and are ready to take the proctored precalculus test, email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. The email must come from your Old Westbury email account and include your student ID number and phone number.
Students should plan to complete the placement exam at least three days before planning to register. Registration will not be possible until scores are manually entered into the college online registration system.
If you have any questions, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
math proficiency exam
The Mathematics and Computer Information Sciences Department offers a proctored Proficiency Exam once each semester. This exam will place students into MA2080 or MA2090 and satisfy the College’s Math Proficiency Requirement.
The next exam is scheduled for Wednesday, March 30, 2022.
To register for the Math Proficiency Exam, contact email@example.com by March 25, 2022.
Math & Computer Science Tutoring Schedule
- Chris tutors all math topics and is available Monday-Thursday from 9am-5pm.
- Latifa tutors Precalc, Calc, Discrete, and Linear algebra and is available virtually on Monday & Wednesday from 9am-12pm and on Tuesday & Thursday from 11am-5pm.
- Francine tutors Precalc, Precalc for Business, Discrete, Calc, Calc for Business, Applied Statistics, Probability and Stat, Linear Algebra, and Calc II and is available on Monday & Wednesday from 10am-1pm and on Tuesday and Thursday from 12pm-5:30 pm.
- Smriti tutors Precalc, Discrete, Calc, , Probability and Stat, Linear Algebra, Number Theory, and Transitions to Advanced Math and is available on Monday & Tuesday from 11:30am to 3pm.
- Bella tutors Applied Statistics and is available virtually on Tuesday & Thursday from 5:30pm to 7:30pm.
- Maxwell tutors Calc, Discrete, and Calc II and is available on Monday & Wednesday from 4pm to 6:30pm.
- Nehemie tutors Precalc, Calc, and Linear Algebra and is available on Monday from 10am to 12pm & Thursday from 1pm to 5pm.
- Nicholas B. tutors Precalc and Discrete and is available on Monday & Wednesday from 2:30pm to 4:30 pm and on Tuesday & Thursday from 5:30pm to 7pm.
- Mohammed tutors Computer Programming I, Data Structures, and C++ and is available on Monday-Thursday from 1:30pm to 3:30pm and on Tuesday & Thursday virtually from 6pm to 8pm .
- Andrew tutors Computer Programming I & II, Python, C++, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, Technical Communications, Database Management Systems, Mobile Programming and is available on Monday & Wednesday from 3pm to 5pm and on Tuesday & Thursday from 1:30pm to 6pm.
- Gus tutors Computer Programming I & II and Data Structures and is available on Monday & Wednesday from 10:45am to 12:45pm and on Tuesday & Thursday from 1:30pm to 3:30pm.
- Nicholas S. tutors Computer Programming I, Data Structures, and C++ and is available on Monday & Wednesday from 5:30pm to 7pm.