Advising: Students and Their Faculty Mentors
If you do not see your name listed under any faculty members, please contact the chair of the Chemistry and Physics Department.
Research for Students – Getting Involved
Many of our undergraduates work with faculty mentors on research projects. Students also take part in research through courses, such as laboratory course-embedded research, Independent Study, Research, and most importantly, through our senior thesis requirement. Students regularly co-author papers with faculty and present their work at national, regional and local meetings. Please explore individual Faculty's research areas as well as additional information at Chemistry Research and Physics Research. Contact the professors with whom you would like to work with. As an option, you can also fill a research application form. If you are majoring in chemistry or biochemistry, fill out the Form for Chemistry. For physics majors, use this Form for Physics.
Participating in summer internship/research is a great way to explore science and develop your professional and peer network. Many summer research programs have an application deadline in January or February. Please check the requirements and ask faculty mentors for help as needed. Some of those opportunities are listed below.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory: Workforce Development & Science Education for College Students
- National Science Foundation(NSF) -Research Experiences for Undergraduates(REU) Sites
- Amgen Foundation Scholars Program (An Undergraduate Summer Research Program in Science and Biotechnology)
- Caltech’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) program
- Rockefeller University’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program
- NIST Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program
- Undergraduate Research in Chemistry (US, international, internships and summer jobs)
- Summer Undergraduate Research in medical schools
Career Planning Resources
The employment opportunities for chemistry and physics professionals can be divided into five main sectors: industry, academia, government, non-profit, and entrepreneurship. Explore help resources and your options here via
Career Planning & Development at Old Westbury: https://www.oldwestbury.edu/division/office-student-affairs/career-planning-development
Study Abroad Program at SUNY: https://www.suny.edu/studyabroad/
Careers & the Chemical Sciences at ACS website: https://www.acs.org/careers/chemical-sciences.html
Premed Course Requirements for medicals 2023: https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7041/download
Job and summer intern opportunities at Estee Lauder: https://www.elcompanies.com/en/careers