The Commencement Ceremony for the Class of 2022 is scheduled for Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 10 a.m. at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
The 2022 Commencement Livestream will begin at 10 a.m.
Participation in Commencement requires the approval via the Office of the Registrar of an application to graduate, which ensures all requirements for a degree have been earned.
Commencement Speaker Announced
Hon. Edwina G. Richardson-Mendelson
Questions about Commencement should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I pick-up my cap, gown, and tickets?
- The annual Commencement Celebration Expo will take place on-campus on May 11th and May 12th, at which point approved graduates will pick up their cap and gown and Commencement tickets. The Expo will be open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day in the Student Union. If you pre-ordered your Cap and Gown, it will be there for purchase and pick-up. If you did not pre-order a cap and gown, Jostens will be available to assist you on-site at Commencement Celebration in getting a cap and gown.
What if I didn't pre-order a cap and gown?
- That's OK, you will purchase and pick-up your cap and gown at the Commencement Celebration Expo on-campus on either May 11th or 12th. The times are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. both days. You must be approved to graduate in order to get a cap and gown at that time.
What will happen at Commencement Celebration?
- Students will purchase and pick up their SUNY Old Westbury cap and gowns. Then, students will pick up their eight tickets to Commencement. Proof of purchase of a cap and gown is required to pick up Commencement tickets, and to participate in Commencement on May 22, 2022. There will also be representatives from Alumni Affairs, Student Government Association, Career Planning & Development and more. We will have free snacks, giveaways, and Class of 2022 t-shirts.
What if I cannot attend Commencement Celebration in-person? How can I get my cap, gown, and tickets?
- If you cannot attend on May 11th or May 12th in-person, we will try to accommodate late pick-up during bookstore hours the following week. If you would like to have another student or proxy purchase and pick-up your items on your behalf, you must email us from your OW account the name of the person picking up the items to email@example.com no later than May 10th.
What is the cost of the cap and gown? What do they look like?
- The price of the items is set by our cap and gown partner, Jostens. Undergraduate sets are $58.00 and include a cap, gown and tassel; Graduate sets are $103.60 include a cap, gown, hood, and tassel. The cap and gown are black, the tassel is a custom Old Westbury medallion. The graduate hood color depends on the academic program.
Are there still appointments available for graduate portraits on-campus?
- Yes. If you wish to have a posed graduate portrait taken by Thornton Studios, you can make an appointment online. Please note, the days they are on-campus are May 10th and May 11th. Our school code is 07109 to make the appointment. The sitting fee is $5.
When will I receive information or confirmation of my graduation application?
- The Office of the Registrar's Degree Audit team is reviewing all graduation applications. All candidates that applied for graduation in May 2022 by the deadline will be reviewed and responded to by May 2. For application questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have a remote vaccine exemption at the College. Can I still pick-up my cap and gown and tickets in-person?
- Yes. We will be communicating with these students on how they can proceed to pick up their items during Commencement Celebration. We will be in touch with you shortly with guidance.
How many Commencement tickets will each student receive?
- Each student will receive eight tickets for Commencement at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. All guests, including children over the age of one, require a ticket. Graduates do not require a ticket but must wear a cap and gown to gain entry to the Coliseum.
Can I get more than eight tickets to Commencement?
- No. The eight tickets that are provided to each student are free, and there are no additional tickets for purchase. However, tickets are transferable, so we encourage you to ask your classmates and friends if they have extra tickets they are not using. We will have a sign-up list at Commencement Celebration for those interested in additional tickets. If tickets remain available the few days before Commencement, the College will host a random lottery for two additional tickets each until tickets are all distributed. Lottery pick-up will take place in-person on campus on May 19th and May 20th if applicable. Graduates will be contacted via their OW email if selected.
What are the COVID-19 guidelines for Commencement at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum?
- In keeping with the announcement from the Office of the President in early April, masks will be required to be worn by all at Commencement at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum as a precaution against COVID-19. This includes students, faculty, and all guests. Proof of vaccination will not be required. Graduates will be permitted to remove their mask while they receive their diploma cover on-stage, and for their posed portrait.
What time does the Commencement Ceremony start on Sunday, May 22nd?
- Commencement will begin at 10 a.m. promptly on Sunday, May 22, 2022. Participants and their guests should arrive at 8:30 a.m.
What time do I have to arrive at Commencement on Sunday, May 22nd?
- Graduates must arrive at 8:30 a.m. to line up for graduation. All graduates must wear their cap and gown to gain entry. All graduates must enter Nassau Coliseum through the Grant Thornton VIP Entrance at the Main Entrance. You will then go immediately downstairs to the Exhibition Hall. Look for signage! Masks are required.
What time should guests arrive to Commencement on Sunday, May 22nd?
- Guests will be allowed inside Nassau Coliseum on Sunday, May 22nd starting at 8:30 a.m. Guests must be seated at the start of the ceremony at 10 a.m. Late entry will not be permitted during the processional. All seats are General Admission; meaning first come, first served. Tickets have barcodes on them and will be scanned at the door. All guests over the age of 1 require a ticket. Guests must enter through the Main Entrance at Nassau Coliseum. Parking is free. Masks are required.
How long is Commencement?
- We anticipate the ceremony to take approximately three hours. All students in attendance will be called by name on the stage to receive their diploma cover. Students are called in order of academic program. Graduates should remain seated until the end of the ceremony.
Will there be a livestream?
- Yes. The ceremony will be livestreamed, and begin at 10 a.m. The link for the livestream can be accessed online.
Can I decorate my cap?
- Yes! We encourage you to decorate your cap. We will have supplies at Commencement Celebration for you to use, generously donated by the College's Auxiliary Service Corporation. Don't forget to snap a picture and share with us using #OWmade and tagging @sunyoldwestbury.
Is there mass transit to Nassau Coliseum?
- Yes, the N70 bus stops right across the street from Nassau Coliseum. This bus also stops at the Hempstead Train Station on the Long Island Rail Road.