How to Apply (International)

Old Westbury welcomes applications from international students who have completed secondary education and who are eligible to enroll in a university level program. SUNY Old Westbury uses the State University of New York (SUNY) application and the Common Application.  A student may apply to multiple SUNY colleges using both applications.  An application fee must accompany the application. 

What documents are required for admission?

The following documents are required for admission. The forms are either on line as indicated or will be issued directly to you via email. You will need to complete the following items: 

  • SUNY Application or the Common Application:  The application is an online and either the SUNY Or the Common Application may be used. The code for SUNY Old Westbury is 46.  

  • Autobiographical Essay (or SUNY Supplemental Application) of roughly 250 words.

  • Letter(s) of Recommendation: One is required for undergraduate and two are required for graduate admissions.

  • Foreign Student Financial Statement: this is a bank statement that must be issued by the Bank on their official letterhead (or use the Bank Statement form that is mailed to you). This document must be signed by the official bank employee and must the stamped with the Bank’s seal.

  • Sponsor letter: A letter from the applicant’s sponsor must also be submitted. The Letter from Sponsor must be notarized. Our admission’s office will send you a specific Sponsor Form to use for this purpose. Remember that it must be notarized and is in addition to the Financial Statement Form.

As of 2018, SUNY Old Westbury does not consider criminal history during the admissions process. However, please be aware that if you seek access to student housing, study abroad or internship opportunities, or a professional licensure, you will be asked to provide this information and it may impact your eligibility for the degree. Visit the department webpages for further information.

The following application documents must be submitted directly to SUNY Old Westbury:

  • Secondary school transcripts and certificates: An original copy of the secondary school transcripts and certificates in the original language (for all applicants who have never attended post-secondary education). 

  • Post-secondary school transcripts and certificates (diploma):  

Applicants who have attended a post-secondary school must send a copy of their post-secondary school transcripts and certificates in their original language. It is also strongly recommended that a syllabus or college catalog translated into English be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar. This will facilitate in the academic advisement and in transfer credit evaluation process.  

  • An official credential evaluation of all non-American educational documents from one of the following foreign credential evaluating agencies:  World Evaluation Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). This is a requirement for all post-secondary documents. All of the evaluated documents must be sent to the University's Office of Enrollment Management unless an admission advisor waives the specific evaluation (this waiver may be available for a few foreign countries only). Contact the Office of Enrollment Services for further information. 

  • Proof of English language proficiency:  All international students from countries where English is not their native language must show sufficient proof of English language course proficiency.  For a detailed list of acceptable proof of English requirements, please see What are the Admission Requirements section of this booklet.  

  • Immunization record:  New York State Public Health Law requires all enrolled college students born after January 1, 1957 to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. These records are required upon entry to our University and are kept on file in the Office of Student Health Services. Students must also show proof of vaccination for meningococcal meningitis disease or sign a statement on the College’s Immunization form stating that they decline obtaining this vaccine. Download the Immunization Record Form. Note: Applicants under the age of 18 MUST have this form signed by a parent.

  • Authorization Form for Minors (under 18 years of age): This form must be filled out and notarized by a parent or legal guardian of a student that is under the age of 18 years prior to moving into a Resident Hall on campus or before the first day of classes. The form will be sent to the accepted student or you can download the Authorization Form for Minors. The form must be returned to the Office of International Enrollment Services prior to arrival on campus.

  • Passport, Visa, I-94 and previous I-20: High School graduates from a US school or Transfer students from a U.S. college/university must send a copy of their passport, visa, I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) and previous I-20s.

  • GMAT exam: All graduate applicants to the Master of Accounting or Master in Taxation program must take the GMAT exam. A minimum GMAT score of 500 is usually required. For more information, visit the department’s webpage.

  • Graduate Record Exam (GRE):  All graduate students applying for the Master of Arts in Teaching, the Master of Science in Education or the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling are required to take the GRE revised General Test for admission to the program. For more information, visit the department’s webpage.