Each candidate needs to complete the fingerprint clearance process when entering the School of Education in order to participate in any field experience course. Local school districts require clearance before a candidate can enter a school building.
Observation and Student Teaching Application Cycle:
Each semester candidates apply for observation and student teaching for the following semester.
- Apply in Fall 2022 to participate in Observation or Student Teaching in Spring 2023
- Apply in Spring 2023 to participate in Observation or Student Teaching in Fall 2023
- Apply in Fall 2023 to participate in Observation or Student Teaching in Spring 2024
The Office of Field Experience only certifies candidates enrolled in SUNY Old Westbury Approved Teacher Preparation Pathway degree programs. All applications for certification are through the TEACH Online System.
SUNY Old Westbury does not handle or advise on Individual Pathway applications for certification. Anyone who receives a letter from NYSED about deficiencies must consult directly with NYSED OTI.
NYSED Office of Teaching Initiatives: (518) 474-3901 or E-mail email@example.com
New York State Teaching Certification Requirements
It is highly recommended that you complete all exams and workshops prior to the semester you student teach, if you want to receive certification shortly after graduation.
Initial Certification: Completed a NYS Approved Teacher Preparation Pathway Program, Pass All NYSTCE Exams, Completed ALL Required Workshops, and Fingerprints
Professional Certification: Completed a RELATED MASTERS or HIGHER DEGREE and have Three Years Teaching Experience
NYS Teaching Examinations
Required NYS Teaching Examinations:
- (EAS) Educating All Students Test
- (CST) Content Specialty Test
- (BEA) Bilingual Education Assessment Test
NYS Mandated Workshops
NYS mandated workshops are a graduation requirement for all SUNY candidates.
Required NYS mandated workshops:
- Child Abuse Prevention Workshop
- SAVE - School Violence Prevention Workshop
- DASA – Dignity for All Students Workshop
- Fire & Arson Prevention Workshop
- Substance Abuse Prevention Workshop
- Highway & School Safety
- Child Abduction
DASA Provider Information (SUNY OLD WESTBURY SOE CANDIDATES ONLY)
If you want to inquire about information on upcoming DASA workshops or registration information, please send an E-mail to: Mr. Vincent J. Juba at firstname.lastname@example.org
NYSED Safety Nets
As you may know, the state has created a series of safety nets for the New York State Teaching Certification Examinations. The information pertaining to requirements and deadlines in continuously changing. For the most up-to-date information, go to http://nysed.gov/.