What is the Lavender Graduation Recognition Ceremony?
Lavender Graduation is a celebration that recognizes graduating students' contributions to Old Westbury and the LGBTQ+ community. Lavender Graduation is an opportunity for students, faculty, staff, and guests to celebrate the accomplishments of OW's LGBTQ+ graduates for Spring, Summer, and Winter of 2019. There is also a space for graduates to recognize the significant people in their lives who have helped them achieve their goals.
How to Participate
If you are graduating in May, August or December 2019 and are interested in being recognized at the Lavender Graduation Recognition Ceremony, you can RSVP. You are also welcome to nominate other seniors and faculty/staff that you believe qualify for each award. SUNY Old Westbury employees, alumni, students, and families are welcome to attend.
Registration for this event is separate and different from applying for graduation (Degree) and separate and different from commencement.
If you cannot attend but would like to nominate a senior or faculty/staff member for an award, you can do so.
RSVPs for recognition due by April 22. RSVPs for general attendance appreciated by April 26. Please RSVP here: http://bit.ly/OWLavGrad19
You may nominate anyone who is graduating in May, August, or December 2019. Self-nominations are allowed.
There are four awards:
LGBTQ+ Service and Activism Award
Recognizes a senior and member of the LGBTQ+ community for:
- Extraordinary service and outstanding leadership to support and build the LGBTQ+ campus community and to promote LGBTQ+ issues and awareness at SUNY Old Westbury;
- Commitment and outstanding contribution to raising awareness and being an activist and voice for change;
- Contribution to and involvement in SUNY Old Westbury LGBTQ+ life and enduring commitment to building community and educating the campus about LGBTQ+ issues; OR
- Tremendous effort to serve the LGBTQ+ community through building coalitions across groups at SUNY Old Westbury.
Please apply here: http://bit.ly/LavGradAward1
Recognizes a Senior for their important contributions as a (heterosexual and cisgender) friend and ally of the LGBTQ+ community. Honorees may have:
- Been an active member of the SUNY Old Westbury LGBTQ+ community;
- Helped with special projects;
- Raised awareness and participated in activism; OR
- Provided both a safe space and a voice for LGBTQ+ issues at SUNY Old Westbury.
Please apply here: http://bit.ly/LavGradAward2
Recognizes a Senior for their excellence and commitment to building connections between the LGBTQ+ community and broader student life (Residential Life, Fraternity/Sorority life, Athletics, Student Government Association, etc.)
Please apply here: http://bit.ly/LavGradAward3
Recognizes outstanding dedication, service, and leadership to the LGBTQ+ Students and the SUNY Old Westbury Campus Community.
Please apply here: http://bit.ly/LavGradAward4