SUNY College at Old Westbury’s Master of Science degree program in Mental Health Counseling is designed to prepare professional counselors to practice in a variety of settings, including independent practice, community agencies, managed behavioral health care organizations, integrated delivery systems, hospitals, employee assistance programs and substance abuse treatment centers.
Old Westbury’s “licensure qualifying” program prepares its students to sit for the exam for licensure in New York State as a Mental Health Counselor.
Mental health counselors are highly skilled professionals who provide a full range of services including:
- Assessment and diagnosis
- Treatment planning and utilization review
- Alcoholism and substance abuse treatment
- Psychoeducational and prevention programs
- Crisis management
- NYS Board for Mental Health Counseling
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- NY Mental Health Counselors Association