Professional practice, which includes practicum and internship, provides for the application of theory and the development of counseling skills under supervision. These experiences will provide opportunities for students to counsel clients who represent the ethnic and demographic diversity of their community. Students are required to maintain student liability insurance while completing these clinical experiences.
Students select from a list of placements that include hospital inpatient and outpatient services, residential settings, community mental health clinics, college counseling centers and other social service agencies that treat those suffering from anxiety or depression, chronic mental illness, developmental disabilities, substance abuse and other issues of living. All of these sites have signed SUNY Affiliation Agreements with our program, agreeing to provide the necessary training experience and supervision by the appropriate licensed professionals.
Students must complete supervised practicum experiences that total a minimum of 100 clock hours over a minimum 10-week academic term. Each student’s practicum includes all of the following:
1. At least 40 clock hours of direct service with actual clients that contributes to the development of counseling skills.
2. Weekly interaction that averages one hour per week of individual and/or triadic supervision throughout the practicum by a program faculty member, a student supervisor, or a site supervisor who is working in biweekly consultation with a program faculty member in accordance with the supervision contract.
3. An average of 1 1/2 hours per week of group supervision that is provided on a regular schedule throughout the practicum by a program faculty member or a student supervisor.
4. The development of program-appropriate audio/video recordings for use in supervision or live supervision of the student’s interactions with clients.
5. Evaluation of the student’s counseling performance throughout the practicum, including documentation of a formal evaluation after the student completes the practicum.
The program requires completion of a supervised internship in the student’s designated program area of 600 clock hours, begun after successful completion of the practicum. The internship is intended to reflect the comprehensive work experience of a professional counselor appropriate to the designated program area. Each student’s internship includes all of the following:
1. At least 240 clock hours of direct service, including experience leading groups.
2. Weekly interaction that averages one hour per week of individual and/or triadic supervision throughout the internship, usually performed by the onsite supervisor.
3. An average of 1 1/2 hours per week of group supervision provided on a regular schedule throughout the internship and performed by a program faculty member.
4. The opportunity for the student to become familiar with a variety of professional activities and resources in addition to direct service (e.g., record keeping, assessment instruments, supervision, information and referral, in-service and staff meetings).