Like the B.A. in Visual Arts, the curriculum is organized into courses of study in three levels:
- First, the foundation level allows students to differentiate between authentic personal decisions and those dictated by social and cultural conditions.
- Second, a tutorial level allows students to focus on creative problems connected with their personal decisions and to understand their relation to the decisions of others. as well as their relation to the contemporary cultural context
- Third, a final critical level enables students to develop a quality control for the formal solutions of the projects and to relate them to the larger professional world.
Requirements for a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree in Electronic Media (minimum 64 credits in Visual Arts and Electronic Media)
To earn a B.S. Degree in Visual Arts: Electronic Media, students must complete the Liberal Education Curriculum requirements, 48 credits in required Visual Arts courses and 16 credits in Electronic Media courses, for a total of 64 credits in the major. A total of 120 credits is required for the degree. Credits for experiential learning are considered in satisfying departmental requirements.
A. Liberal Education Curriculum
Refer to the Liberal Education Curriculum Bulletin for specific requirements.
B. Major Requirements
1st Level Foundation Courses – 20 cr. (This level must be completed before starting Tutorials.)
- VA2020 Basic Design 4 cr.
- VA2030 Drawing 4 cr.
- *VA2045 Introduction to Color 4 cr.
- VA2500 or VA2510 Art History I: 19th Century Art
- or Art History II: Modern Art:1900-1945 4 cr.
*(or Introduction to Art-taken before Fall 2008)
2nd Level Courses – 20 cr. (1st Level Courses Prerequisite)
In order to take Tutorials I, an average of 3.0 or better is needed in the first level Foundation Courses. This average has to be maintained in all
Visual Arts courses in order to continue with Art Tutorials II and Art Tutorials III.
- VA3100 Visual Culture – Warhol to Present 4 cr.
- VA3200 Art Tutorials I 4 cr.
- VA3400 Digital Imaging 4 cr.
- VA4200 Art Tutorials II 4 cr.
- VA5200 Art Tutorials III 4 cr.
Group Exhibition: At the end of Tutorial III, B.S. candidates will be able to participate in a group show and exhibit their work at the Amelie A. Wallace Gallery.
Required Art Electives - 4 cr.
- VA 4900 Internship 4 cr.
Required Electronic Media courses -16 cr.
Choose 4 courses from the following:
- VA2320 Graphic Design I 4 cr.
- VA3380 Digital Video 4 cr.
- VA4260 Interactive Web Design 4 cr.
- VA4320 Graphic Design II 4 cr.
- VA4460 Digital Animation 4 cr.
- VA4265 3D Digital Design 4 cr.
- VA4360 Advanced Electronic and Animation 4 cr.