Purpose of Administrative & Education Support (AES) Assessment
SUNY Old Westbury is dedicated to institutional effectiveness. The institution’s assessment processes support our continuous quality improvement efforts. Assessment can be defined as the systematic and ongoing method of gathering, analyzing and using information from various sources about a unit. Assessment involves using measured outcomes, in order to improve student support services, student learning, and other administrative processes. Assessment provides an area the opportunity to determine what is working well or what might be improved to meet the needs and expectations of those we serve. Assessment establishes a direction for improvement and documents initiatives taken that lead to outcomes that benefit the institution.
The Assessment Cycle
- Planning: Planning involves setting clear, concrete outcomes and making sure that there are enough means and resources to reach the outcomes. This phase also involves determining the assessment methodology.
- Conducting/analyzing: Conducting/analyzing involves collecting and analyzing relevant data to measure progress towards outcome.
- Discussing/using results: The discussing/using phase involves interpreting results and using findings to improve services or processes.
- Determining impact: After changes are made, follow-up assessment is necessary to determine if changes improved services or processes.
AES Submission Policies and Report Format
To document AES assessment activities at SUNY Old Westbury, each AES unit will submit one annual assessment report in Weave, the SUNY Old Westbury assessment repository software. If you need access to the WEAVE platform, please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AES Assessment Reporting DEADLINES
The AES assessment cycle will run on an academic year calendar. AES assessment plans for a reporting period are to be completed in WEAVE by September 1st. Final assessment reports (completed assessment results, next steps, and action plans) are to be completed in WEAVE by August 15th.
Three-Year AES Reporting calender & Deadlines
Reporting Period 2021-2022
- August 2021 - July 2022: Collect & analyze assessment data, discuss results and next steps, and create action plans
- January 2022: AES Assessment Plans due in Weave by 1/14/2022
- August 2022: AES Assessment Reports for reporting period 2021-2022 due in WEAVE by 8/15/2022
Reporting Period 2022-2023
- September 2022: AES Assessment Plans for reporting period 2022-2023 due in WEAVE by 9/1/2022
- August 2022 - July 2023: Collect & analyze assessment data, discuss results and next steps, and create action plans
- August 2023: AES Assessment Reports for reporting period 2022-2023 due in WEAVE by 8/15/2023
Reporting Period 2023-2024
- September 2023: AES Assessment Plans for reporting period 2023-2024 due in WEAVE by 9/1/2023
- August 2023 - July 2024: Collect & analyze assessment data, discuss results and next steps, and create action plans
- August 2024: AES Assessment Reports for reporting period 2023-2024 due in WEAVE by 8/15/2024
AES Assessment Support AND RESOURCES
There are a number of resources available to assist you units with AES assessment. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com.
AES Assessment Guide & SUPPORT MATERIAL
Internal (suny old westbury log-in required)
AES Assessment Guide - Guide serves to provide information on SUNY Old Westbury administrative and education support (AES) assessment. This guide includes information on the assessment and reporting process and includes WEAVE quick tips.
AES Assessment Workshop Slides (Fall 2021) - Slides from the AES Assessment workshops provided in Fall 2021.
WEAVE Sources of Evidence - List of sources of evidence provided as an option in WEAVE dropdown selection.
WEAVE Quick Start Video - Short video guide on entering assessment information into the WEAVE software platform.
Example of Unit Outcomes - A list of unit outcome examples provided by California University of Pennsylvania.
Assessment at a Glance - An example of assessment outcomes and use of results provided for MSCHE by Temple University.