Frequently Asked Questions





A: The way you make appointments varies depending where you are in your degree. Sophomores / Students in Liberal Arts / Students with fewer than 32 credits but no longer in First-Year will receive an email from the Academic Advising Center with a link to schedule an advising appointment. For the other students, please send email to your assigned advisor as to make an appointment.

Q: Do I have to come to the Campus for Academic Advising?

Q: I have met with my advisor but I need someone to help me create a schedule.

A: Peer Advisors can assist you via MS Teams.

A: [As of Summer 2020] Advising appointments are done remotely.  You don’t have to come to the Campus. The Advisors in the Academic Advising Center use Microsoft Teams to which all OW students have access.  You will receive a link for a meeting prior to your appointment date. Advisors in the other campus offices use MS Teams, Zoom, and/or OW Email.


Q: How can I declare or change my Major?

Q: How do I choose a Major?

A: Choosing your best-fit Major takes a thoughtful process.  What Can I Do With This Major can help you connect majors to careers. You can explore What-If for different majors/minors in Degree Audit: How to use “What-If”.

Q: I have all the boxes checked off but Degree Progress doesn’t reach to 100%.

A: Do you have 120 credits? Degree Audit does not have a dedicated section for general electives.  Figuring out how many General Elective credits you need require a little math. 120 – (Credits Applied + Pending transfer credits + Courses still needed x credits) = General Electives needed The highest percentage you would see before graduation is 98 or 99% since your courses are still in progress.

Q: I need help on the Degree Audit.

A: The Degree Audit shows your degree requirements and progress.  You can also run a “What-If” scenario for different majors and minors. To Access: Connect.Oldwestbury.edu> Academics> Degree Audit. 

Degree Works and Credit Evaluation Guide

Degree Works What-If Guide

Q: I have an AA degree and was told that my General Education was fulfilled.  But my Degree Audit still shows ‘still needed.’

A: Students with an AA or AS degree from CUNY or SUNY community colleges are considered ‘met’ for General Education requirements.* However, your official transcript must state the degree was awarded.  Often students are admitted during their final semester at the community college and failed to submit the final official transcript.  Please follow up with Transfer Services.   *Except Diversity and Math & Writing Proficiencies.  Also, this policy is not applicable for AAS or AOS degrees or degrees earned at non-CUNY/SUNY colleges.

A: Advising is required for First-Year Students, Students on Probation, and new Transfer Students. Your advisor will give you a PIN for registration upon completion of advising. Advising is not required but strongly recommended for continuing Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors in Good Standing.

How to Search Courses and Register

How to Use Degree Audit 

Q: How can I get my PIN?

Q: Can I drop a course and add another?

A: Add means registering.  You can add and/or drop courses until the end of Add/Drop period set in the first week of each semester.  Beyond the period, you can still remove a course by Withdrawal up to a certain date but cannot add another course. Refer Dates, Deadlines and General Information.

Q: How many classes should I take?

A: The minimum number of credits to be a full time student is 12, or three four-credit classes.  Many students prefer to take 16 credits, or four four-credit classes.  Bear in mind that students are expected to spend two hours studying and preparing outside of class for every hour spent in the classroom.  A 12 credit course load would require students to spend an additional 24 hours studying outside of class, while a 16 credit course load would require 32 hours of studying.  Students who work long hours or have substantial family commitments may wish to consider a 12 credit course load.

Q: Can I take all my classes on two days?

A: Many students who commute and work outside of school wish to arrange their schedule so they are only coming to campus two days a week.  While such an arrangement is tempting, it’s not without drawbacks.  Students who try and spend 7-8 hours a day in class often have a very difficult time concentrating by the end of the day. Students also tend to feel more engaged in the Old Westbury community when they are coming to campus more than two days a week.  While two day schedules are sometimes possible, we encourage students to schedule their classes throughout the week.

Q: Do I meet the prerequisites for the classes I want?

A: When looking at available classes, students should also pay close attention to the prerequisites listed in the course description.  Students who have not yet earned proficiency in writing (EMS) need to pay special attention to the writing placement courses require.  Most introductory science classes require proficiency in Math. Usually, upper division courses in a department require some introductory coursework as a prerequisite.  If there is a class you need but lack the prerequisites for, an advisor can help you plan your coursework so you fill those prerequisites in a timely manner.

A: If you didn’t attend more than one semester, you need to submit a Readmission Form.  Contact your advisor via OW Email* for an advising appointment.

*We cannot discuss details of student records over the telephone or through non-SUNY email. OW email is the official mode of communication for the college.

Q: I attended OW in the past, and I would like to return. 


Q: I was suspended.  Why? How does it affect me?

We are here to support you! If the FAQs do not cover your question, send us an email at: advising@oldwestbury.edu


Q: How do I check who my advisor is?

A: Connect.Oldwestbury.edu> Academics > Navigate > Your Success Team is assigned several weeks into a semester for new students, students who changed a major, students who moved up from a class to another (First-Year to Sophomore and/or Sophomore to Junior). If you don’t find an advisor assigned to you in Navigate, please contact advising@oldwestbury.edu.


Q: How can I make an appointment with my advisor?


Q: How can I remove Registration holds?

A: You need to contact the Office which placed a hold to your account. “Seek an Academic Advising” hold: You need to see an advisor to remove the hold.  Contact your advisor for an appointment.  Your advisor will notify the Academic Advising Center to remove your Advising hold after speaking with you. 

Q: How can I check if I have a Registration hold?

A: You can check if you have a hold and what it relates to in Connect.Oldwestbury.edu > Registration > View Holds

Q: How can I register for courses?

A: Advising is required for First-Year Students, Students on Probation, and new Transfer Students.  Continuing Students: schedule an advising appointment.  Advisors cannot give you a PIN without advising.  Plan ahead so that you can see your advisor with ample time prior to registration. New Students: an email invitation to make an advising appointment will be sent after your orientation date is confirmed. Please make sure to sign up for orientation. 

Q: I got an error message when I tried to register.

A: View FAQs by the Office of the Registrar.


A: Students who were already on Probation and earned a GPA below 2.0 for both Semester and Cumulative are placed on Suspension.  Suspended students cannot attend the subsequent semester.  Suspended students may appeal in the Academic Hearing for an uninterrupted return.  Contact the Office of Registrar for an appointment. Suspended students who sat out for a semester and wish to return should file for Readmission.

Q: My record says I am on Probation. Why? What does it mean to me? 

A: Academic standing is defined by your GPAs after each semester ends. You are on Probation when either a semester GPAor cumulative GPA is below2.0. You are not restricted to the number of credits you can take in the following semester, but restricted for participation in extracurricular activities.  Also, an Advising hold will be placed on your account and you are required to seek an academic advising prior to registration.

Q: How do I withdraw from a course?

A: You can withdraw from a course by the deadline.  You do not need Instructor approval up to the 7th week into a semester.  Instructor approval is required beyond it. Check Dates, Deadlines and General Information in the Registrar’s webpage for the dates. To Withdraw: Connect.Oldwestbury.edu > Registration > Withdrawal Form (under Forms) To Check CRNs: Connect.Oldwestbury.edu > Registration > Detailed Schedule

Q: What’s the impact on my records if I withdraw from a course?

A: When you withdraw from a course, you will receive a W grade which will not impact on your GPA.  However, habitual Withdrawals will give a negative impression on the future application for internships, graduate schools, and/or employment. Speak to your instructor and/or advisor to explore your options before withdrawing. Contact your Financial Aid Advisor prior to withdrawing.  Withdrawal from a course may affect your eligibility.