Student Complaint Policies/Procedures - Administrative Units

Approved Date

The procedures outlined here are in use by each major functional area of the College and are meant to guide students and parents compelled to formally complain about such items as a campus policy, procedure, condition or staff member. The procedures here, however, do not replace or supersede any applicable law or legal process that might be required, depending on the complaint made.

Policy Elaboration

At SUNY Old Westbury we are committed to providing prompt and fair resolutions to all student/parent concerns. The process outlined below allows you to submit a complaint for almost all major functional areas of the College.  For legal reasons, exceptions include:

  • Academic Grievances: A student may appeal specific grades, probation and dismissal, and degree requirements by following the Academic Grievance Procedures.
  • Discrimination or Harassment: The Discrimination and Harassment policy and procedure is designed to provide all members of the College community with a process for reporting incidents of discrimination or harassment, and to provide for prompt and effective response to and resolution of reports of discrimination or harassment.
  • Title IX: In addition to the Discrimination and Harassment policy and procedure, the College conforms to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681), an all-encompassing federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance.
  • Student Conduct: The Code for Student Conduct addresses issues of student conduct and the processes by which such incidents and complaints are made, addressed, and resolved.
  • Criminal Activity/University Police: The University Police Department Manual of Rules includes the grievance process and related forms.  Students seeking to initiate a complaint through this procedure should contact the Chief of University Police to do so.

Complaint Process

Most complaints can be resolved informally by addressing the person(s) and/or department(s) involved. If you want assistance or need an advocate, the Ombuds is here to help. The Ombuds assists students, faculty, and staff in determining options to help resolve conflicts and other concerns. They are a great resource for bringing parties to a win/win solution.

When submitting your complaint, please provide as much information as possible.

  1. Once you submit the complaint form, you will receive a confirmation email verifying that it was received.
  2. Corresponding Vice President or their designee, will investigate your complaint. The investigation will seek to be thorough, timely, fair and resolute.
  3. To the extent practicable, all aspects of the investigation conducted in accordance with this procedure will be confidential. Involved parties may not retaliate against a student for filing a grievance.
  4. The investigator will attempt to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible. You will be informed of its progress as it moves along.
  5. Decisions of the Vice President are final.

Unit Websites, Locations and Contact Information

Unit Website Location Phone
Office of Academic Affairs Academic Affairs Campus Center, Room H-410 516-876-3135
Division of Business & Finance Business & Finance Campus Center, Room H-310 516-876-3191
Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Title IX, and Ombudsperson Campus Center, Room H-417 516-876-3080
Office of Enrollment Services Enrollment Services Campus Center, Room I-202 516-876-3073
Division of Administration Human Resources Campus Center, Room I-211 516-876-3179
Office of Institutional Advancement Institutional Advancement Campus Center, Room H-425 516-876-3207
Office of Communications & College Relations Communications & College Relations Campus Center, Room H-300 516-876-3162
Division of Student Affairs Student Affairs Campus Center, Room H-418 516-876-3175
Policy Contacts