Providing a safe and confidential setting for students to explore personal concerns and restore emotional balance.
The mission of SUNY Old Westbury's Counseling and Psychological Wellness Services is to support and enhance the psychological health and wellbeing, personal growth and development of students. We aspire to help students develop the healthy minds and skills necessary for personal, academic and social success. Our staff of professionals deliver quality mental health services tailored to meet individual needs. Our services are confidential and free of charge to students.
We welcome and embrace human diversity in all its forms, including racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation and gender identity, ability/disability, language, age, spiritual belief, and socioeconomic status.
Contacting Us During COVID-19
During this unprecedented time, the counseling center is committed to providing services to all students. Counseling and psychiatric services are freely available to all Old Westbury students either in person or via telehealth (by video chats or by phone).
If you wish to schedule an appointment with our counselors, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us 516-876-3053, and we will respond as soon as possible. *Please leave a message if we are unable to answer your call, we will respond to you as soon as we can.
About our services
- SERVICES: Available to all current OW students (residents and commuters, part time and full time, undergraduate and graduate)
- COST: None. Our services are covered under your Student Health Services fee.
- CONFIDENTIAL: Your session files are not a part of the student’s educational record. No information is shared with other offices or departments.
- SERVICE: Staffed by dedicated licensed psychologists, advanced psychologists in training and a licensed psychiatrist, we offer free individual, couple and group counseling and psychotherapy, as well as psychiatric consultations and referral services.
To make an appointment visit the office in the Wellness Wing, First Floor of the Campus Center I-Wing (formerly the Registrar) between the hours of 9-5 Monday – Friday, or call (516)-876-3053.
When campus is closed, please contact us at email@example.com. Appointments will be made in a timely matter with your schedule in mind.
when to seek counseling
Some signs that a visit to counseling services may be helpful, include:
- Sadness and loneliness
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Trouble managing emotions
- Excessive negative thinking or distressing emotions
- Problems in relationships
- Concerns about substance use
- Traumatic or painful experiences
- Grief or loss
- Difficulty adjusting to college
- Family problems
- Loss of interest or pleasure in things
- Changes in sleep or eating habits
- Feeling consistently bad about oneself or one’s body
- Difficulty concentrating
- Declining grades
- Low motivation
- Isolating oneself
- Frequent absences from classes
- Social difficulties
- Restricting or binge eating
Counseling Services After Hours
The Counseling and Psychological Wellness Services now works with ProtoCall to provide emergency counseling and crisis management every weekday between 5:00pm and 9:00 am, and on the weekends for 24 hours.
To connect with a counselor, please call 516-876-3053.