What is the Lavender Graduation Recognition Ceremony?
Lavender Graduation is a celebration that recognizes graduating students' contributions to Old Westbury and the LGBTQ+ community. Lavender Graduation is an opportunity for students, faculty, staff, and guests to celebrate the accomplishments of OW's LGBTQ+ graduates for Fall 2020 and Spring, Summer, and Winter of 2021. There is also a space for graduates to recognize the significant people in their lives who have helped them achieve their goals.
There are four awards:
LGBTQ+ Service and Activism Award
Recognizes a senior and member of the LGBTQ+ community for:
- Extraordinary service and outstanding leadership to support and build the LGBTQ+ campus community and to promote LGBTQ+ issues and awareness at SUNY Old Westbury;
- Commitment and outstanding contribution to raising awareness and being an activist and voice for change;
- Contribution to and involvement in SUNY Old Westbury LGBTQ+ life and enduring commitment to building community and educating the campus about LGBTQ+ issues; OR
- Tremendous effort to serve the LGBTQ+ community through building coalitions across groups at SUNY Old Westbury.
Recognizes a Senior for their important contributions as a (heterosexual and cisgender) friend and ally of the LGBTQ+ community. Honorees may have:
- Been an active member of the SUNY Old Westbury LGBTQ+ community;
- Helped with special projects;
- Raised awareness and participated in activism; OR
- Provided both a safe space and a voice for LGBTQ+ issues at SUNY Old Westbury.
Recognizes a Senior for their excellence and commitment to building connections between the LGBTQ+ community and broader student life (Residential Life, Fraternity/Sorority life, Athletics, Student Government Association, etc.)
Recognizes outstanding dedication, service, and leadership to the LGBTQ+ Students and the SUNY Old Westbury Campus Community.