SUNY Old Westbury only accepts applications fall semester entry for this degree program. All students applying for admission to the program are required to:
- Submit a Graduate Admissions Application and non-refundable application fee.
- Submit a copy of New York State initial, professional or permanent teaching certification. (NOTE: Certifications from other states are considered and may be submitted).
- Provide evidence of the completion of either an undergraduate or graduate degree in Education, or related field.
- Have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a scale of 4) or the equivalent, in the highest earned degree.
- Submit Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation, at least one from an academic source.
- Prepare an admission essay to answer the following question: “Why are you interested in pursuing a graduate degree in literacy education?”
NOTE: International students must present additional testing and documentation as part of the College's International Admissions Requirements, including TOEFL requirements, IELTS exam results, and document evaluations by ECE or WES.