- B.A. in Spanish or a B.A./B.S. degree with at least 30 credits in Spanish starting at the intermediate level and an earned 3.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions required.
- Interview in Spanish via Skype or in person.
- Submission of scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Personal statement submitted through our web application.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from an academic source.
- International students must meet additional criteria, including the following: TOEFL scores: paper exam = 550; computer exam= 213; Internet exam= 80. Students taking the IELTS English (Cambridge) exams must pass with a broad band score of 6.5. Students must also have their overseas documents evaluated by AACRAO International or WES (World Education Services).
* ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) & ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI or OPIc) in Spanish should be passed prior to student teaching (last semester in the program) with minimum score of “Advanced Low.”
Candidates who do not have the required credit hours in Spanish but are fluent in the language can demonstrate their proficiency for admission to the program by passing the following tests with minimum score of “Advanced Low”:
- ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test (WPT)
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview -- OPI
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview by Computer (OPIc)
* If the candidate has not taken any grammar courses at the college level, ML3110 (spring semester) or ML3362 (fall semester) should be taken in addition to the Spanish graduate courses and passed with a grade of B or higher.