Students in this program earn degrees in both Biological Sciences and Adolescence Education.
Candidates successfully completing this program of study are recommended by SUNY Old Westbury to New York State for initial certification as Adolescence Education (grades 7-12) teachers. The School of Education Science Education coordinator is responsible for advising and approving students as they progress through the School of Education program. Students should also have an advisor from the Biological Sciences Department.
A. Biology Content Requirements
Candidates must complete all requirements for the B.S. in Biological Sciences. The B.A. degree is not accepted..
B. Liberal Education Curriculum Courses
Students must complete all requirements of the Liberal Education Curriculum program.
C. Education Core Courses
- CP2050 The Nature and Development of Science
- ED3742 Middle Childhood & Adolescence
- ED3820 Foundations of Special Education
- ED 3900 Foundations of Education
- ED4085 Methods and Materials of Teaching Science in Secondary School
- ED4230 Reading Across the Curriculum
- ED4231 Reading Practicum
- ED5890 Pre-teaching Practicum & Seminar
- ED5900* Student Teaching & Seminar in
- Adolescence Education (grades 7-12)
* B or better required
D. Other Requirements
Candidates must earn a grade of C or higher in all required courses for the degree, whether taken at Old Westbury or elsewhere. Students must earn grades no lower than C in all biology courses.