Nicole Sieben is Associate Professor of Secondary English Education at SUNY Old Westbury where she is also the Coordinator for the Graduate Programs in English Education. A former high school English teacher in New York, Sieben's research focuses on building "writing hope" in secondary and postsecondary education, social justice practices, and professional development in K-12 schools. Sieben is author of the (2018) book, *Writing Hope Strategies for Writing Success in Secondary Schools: A Strengths-Based Approach to Teaching Writing*, co-editor of the books, *Narratives of Hope and Grief in Higher Education* (2020) and *Humanizing Grief in Higher Education: Narratives of Allyship and Hope* (2021), journal editor for the special issue of *English Education*, “Designing Professional Development for Equity and Social Justice,” and former column editor (2018-2020) for English Journal’s Books-in-Action column, which focused on texts that cultivate hope in the ELA classroom. She is the recipient of the 2017 Article of the Year Award from *The English Record* for her article, “Teaching Writing Hope for a Just Writing Society.” Nicole is also a past recipient of the NCTE Edwin M. Hopkins Award for her March 2009 *English Journal* article “’Watch What You Teach’: A First-Year Teacher Refuses to Play It Safe,” which she wrote in her first year of teaching high school English, co-written with Laraine Wallowitz. She is a recipient of the 2013 CEE/ELATE Research Initiative Grant Award for her research project, “Teaching Writing Hope: A Matter of Social Justice.” Her work has recently been published in English Education, Teaching and Teacher Education, English Journal, Voices from the Middle, and English Leadership Quarterly.
- Ed.D. in English Education, Hofstra University
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), Conference on English Leadership (CEL)’s English Leadership Quarterly Best Article Honorable Mention Award, 2019
- Conference on English Leadership (CEL), Mentor Fellowship (Mentor), 2017, 2018, (Mentee), 2016, 2015
- New York State English Council (NYSEC), The English Record Article of the Year Award, 2017
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), Conference on English Leadership (CEL)’s English Leadership Quarterly Best Article Honorable Mention Award, 2016
- Conference on English Education (CEE) Research Initiative Grant Award for project entitled, “Teaching Writing Hope: A Matter of Social Justice in English Education"
- Social justice pedagogy, various aspects of teacher education including writing teacher education, critical literacy, positive psychology, queer theory, and “writing hope” development in secondary and postsecondary education.
- Sieben, N. (2018). Writing hope strategies for writing success in secondary schools: A strengths-based approach to teaching writing. Leiden, Netherlands: Brill | Sense Publishers.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Articles:
- Sieben, N. (2021). Reflections on (re)defining allywork. English Journal, 111(2), 99-101.
- Sieben, N. (2021). Action-based hope and commitments of care in educational leadership. The English Record, 71(2), 95-111.
- Dawson, C. M., & Sieben, N. (2021). Writing-rich workshops as pathways for transformative teacher learning. English Leadership Quarterly, 44(1), 12-16.
- Sieben, N. (2020). Tell your story…Share hope. Teaching/Writing: The Journal of Writing Teacher Education: 9(1), Article 2. Available at: https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/wte/vol9/iss1/2
- Sieben, N. (2019). Writing experience workshops: A (re)design of writing instruction that creates lifelong writers. English Leadership Quarterly, 42(1), 7-12.
- Sieben, N. (2019). Building writing hope through the process of ‘nexting.’ Voices from the Middle, 26(4), 56-63.
- Sieben, N. (2019). Traveling toward hope in the ELA classroom. English Journal, 108(5), 95-97.
- Sieben, N. (2018). Supporting strong and struggling writers across a spectrum of strengths. English Leadership Quarterly, 41(2), 2-6.
- Sieben, N. (2018). Advocating for the affective: Writing hope into school spaces. Language Arts Journal of Michigan, 33(2), 20-27.
- Sieben, N. (2017). Building hopeful secondary school writers through effective feedback strategies. English Journal, 106(6), 48-53.
- Sieben, N. (2016). Teaching writing hope for a just writing society. The English Record, 67 (1), 99-121.
Editor for Peer Reviewed Books
- Sieben, N. (Ed.) (Upcoming/In Production: 2022). Writing hope found in uncertain times: Teaching English language arts in search of hope moments. Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Publishers.
- Sieben, N., & Shelton, S. A. (Eds.) (2021). Humanizing grief in higher education: Narratives of allyship and hope. New York: Routledge Research in Higher Education Series |Routledge.
- Shelton, S. A., & Sieben, N. (Eds.) (2020). Narratives of hope and grief in higher education. Palgrave Macmillan.