Applying for Aid

1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Before you begin you will want to have your tax information or estimates from last year. You will also want to have your FSA ID available so that you can sign your application upon completion. Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. New applicants, when completing the FAFSA, please be sure to select the red link to the TAP application if you plan to apply for the New York State TAP grant.

All students must apply each year for Federal aid by completing the FAFSA application. All filers will need the SUNY College at Old Westbury Federal Code (007109) and the Old Westbury TAP Code (0965 - for undergraduate students only) to input on the applications. More application informationis available on the FAFSA site.

Eligible applicants who file the FAFSA will be offered aid based on full-time status Complete your FAFSA online at

2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)

The Federal Government will provide you with access to your Student Aid Report via e-mail if you apply on line. Please review this FAFSA summary and return the form to the Federal Government or our office with any corrections you may have to the application.

3. Sign and Return the Applicant's Statement Relating to Financial Aid

Download, complete, sign, and submit the Applicant's Statement Relating toFinancial Aid form. This form must be submitted with signed copies of suchprevious year household income documentationas Federal Income Tax Returns, State and Local Tax Returns, information related to benefits associated with Social Services, Social Security, AFDC or ADC, Veteran Benefits or other untaxed Income).

4. Complete the TAP Application

This step is only for undergraduate students! If you did not use the red link provided at the end of the FAFSA on the web application, or if you completed a paper FAFSA application, you will need to complete the TAP application process to be considered for a New York State TAP grant. You can complete the TAP application online or request a paper version from You will need your New York State tax information or an estimate from last year to complete the application. Continuing students do not need to apply for TAP each year; only new students will need to complete the application. Use the following link to complete your TAP application now.

Complete the TAP application online:

5. Apply for a scholarship to attend SUNY College at Old Westbury

Learn more about the scholarship program and the eligibility criteria:

College and Old Westbury College Foundation, Inc. Scholarship Opportunities

6. Notify the Office of Financial Aid of any Private Scholarships

You will want to notify the Office of Financial Aid if you will be receiving outside scholarships or grants from local, state, national, or corporate organizations. These awards may impact your financial aid eligibility.

7. Receive Your Award Letter

Once we have received your FAFSA information from the Federal Government, and we have received any other requested data needed from you, we will process your financial aid package and notify you of your aid eligibility. Your award letter will be posted electronically only via my.oldwestbury student portal. To accessyour award letter, login to my.oldwestbury portal, then:

  • Go to the Student Services tab (second tab on top of the page)
  • Click on Financial Aid Awards
  • Select the Aid Year, review aid awarded and accept or decline loans. You can also view and print your SUNY Award Letter.

Notification begins in March.

8. ​Apply for a Direct Student Loan

Your Award Letter may direct you to seek a loan to support you in the pursuit of your studies. The U.S. Government makes available Federal Direct Student Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) for undergraduate students and Federal Direct Parent Loans (PLUS) for parents and graduate students. Please speak with your financial aid counselor about specific terms for each loan type. Further information is also available at Student Aid on the Web. The loan process takes 4-6 weeks to complete.

9. Respond to Inquiries

Respond promptly to any inquiries from federal and state agencies, or from our office. Delays in receipt of pertinent information will delay the review process, mailing of award letters, and disbursement of funds.

10. Accept Your Award

You need to accept or decline any loans or work-study in an offered status via my.oldwestbury.

11. Bill Payment

After accepting your aid, be certain to make arrangements to make payment on any remainder to your bill when it is posted to my.oldwestbury by the Office of the Bursar. Visit the Office of the Bursar page for more information about paying your bill.