Transfer Credit FAQ

Q. How many credits can I transfer?

A. You can transfer up to 80 credits to SUNY Old Westbury from all of sources of credit. Students who started at Old Westbury prior to Spring 2015 may transfer up to 72 credits.

Q. What courses are accepted in transfer?

A. In general, we accept courses that contain Liberal Arts and Sciences topics, Business topics, or Education topics. The course grade must be a C- or better or the course will not be accepted regardless of topic. However, transfer credit can be awarded for courses in which a passing grade lower than C- was earned if the courses are part of an AA, AS or AAS degree. SUNY transfers can also receive credit for courses in which a passing grade lower than C- was earned if the course(s) appears on a General Education Transcript Addendum (GETA).

Q. Will my grades and GPA transfer?

A. No, your Old Westbury GPA will be based solely on the coursework you complete at Old Westbury; however, your previous GPA may be used to determine eligibility for certain majors and programs.

Q. What is a General Education Transcript Addendum (GETA)?

A. A GETA is a supplement to a SUNY official transcript. The GETA shows what courses were applied to each student’s SUNY General Education requirements.

Q. Where do I obtain a GETA?

A. It is typically included with the SUNY transcript; however, some colleges have a box to check if you want a GETA or if you are sending the transcript to another SUNY. You should always check these boxes, if available.

Q. How can I find out how many credits were accepted?

A. You can find out by logging into the ConnectOW Portal and accessing your unofficial transcript.

Q. Can I see how my transfer credits apply to my degree?

A. Yes! After paying your tuition deposit your degree evaluation will be available for viewing. Your degree evaluation is part of the CAPP system and will allow you to track your progress toward your Bachelor’s Degree. Your degree evaluation is accessed through the Academic page of your ConnectOW Portal account. 

Q. When can I view my degree evaluation?

A. Approximately one to three weeks after your acceptance your transfer credit evaluation should be completed and, after you have paid your tuition deposit, will be available for view through your degree evaluation on the ConnectOW Portal

Q. Who do I contact if I have questions about my transfer credits?

A. Contact with your Old Westbury ID (700 number) and question.

Q. Do you accept CLEP, AP, or IB credits?

A. Yes, we accept CLEP, AP, and IB credits. For additional details, go to the Policies and Procedures section.

Q. Where do I send my transcripts?

A. During the Admissions process you should submit all of your college transcripts and/or score reports electronically or mail to the following address:

SUNY Old Westbury
Admissions Office
P.O. Box 307
Old Westbury, NY 11568

Once you have been accepted at Old Westbury and have paid your tuition deposit you should submit transcripts to the following address:

Rachel Brown Littenberg, Director of Transfer Services
Office of the Registrar
SUNY Old Westbury
PO Box 210
Old Westbury, NY 11568

Q. Are there any clubs or groups just for transfer students?

A. Old Westbury has a chapter of Tau Sigma Transfer Student Honor Society. Contact Rachel Littenberg at or Rebecca Rothe at to see if you qualify for membership.