The Strategic Planning, Assessment, Analysis, and Review (SPAAR) Committee was created in the 2018-2019 academic year as an outgrowth of the College’s implementation of its 2018-2023 Strategic Plan. The charge and composition of SPAAR was developed in fall 2018 by the SPAAR Committee Task Force, a group of faculty and administrators who worked collaboratively to develop a framework for the committee and its work.
2020-2021 Meeting Schedule
Meetings for the academic year have been scheduled as follows:
- 9/11/20, 10:30 a.m.
- 12/11/20, 10:30 a.m.
- 2/12/21, 10:30 a.m.
- 5/14/21, 10:30 a.m.
Thje SPAAR Committee is the campus-wide advisory body responsible for monitoring and providing transparency regarding the College’s progress in implementing its Strategic Plan and associated budgeting activities. Its purpose is to advance the College’s mission and strategic goals while monitoring as appropriate strategic activities and investments pursued by the College.
The SPAAR Committee:
- Adheres to Middle States Commission on Higher Education Standard VI’s requirement that: “The institution’s planning processes, resources, and structures are aligned with each other and are sufficient to fulfill its mission and goals, to continuously assess and improve its programs and services, and to respond effectively to opportunities and challenges.”
- Creates and continuously improves a plan of work to conduct its review of the implementation of the goals and outcomes of the Plan.
- Uses the best available evidence and data in its efforts to unite strategic and budget planning, and may therefore request from campus offices such information as it may require.
- Combines, in consultation with campus stakeholders, strategic and budget planning by making recommendations related to existing, new, or revised strategic priorities.
- Evaluates progress of Plan implementation beginning with the benchmarks and metrics included in ongoing assessment reports by academic and operational departments/units and developing additional benchmarks/metrics as needed.
- Meets at least twice each semester (Fall and Spring).
- Creates regular opportunities for campus-wide discussion of findings, and incorporates feedback into its recommendations.
- Produces interim reports on key strategic issues and recommends to the campus’ bodies of governance (i.e. the President, Cabinet, College Council, Faculty Senate, SGA) revisions of the Committee’s function, as appropriate.
Submits by June 15 of each year a written progress report to the campus’ bodies of governance. In guiding the implementation and adjustment of the Strategic Plan, the SPAAR Committee exemplifies a shared-governance approach to continuous improvement in College decision-making. As such, the SPAAR Committee must:
- Consider the financial implications of its recommendations, with attention to both the local (campus) and the wider (state) budget context.
- Comply with the College’s confidentiality and conflict-of-interest policies.
- Follow standard parliamentary procedures.
- Michael Kavic, Associate Professor of Chemistry & Physics/Faculty Senate Chair
- Michael Kinane, Vice President for Communications and Chief Communications Officer