Frequently Asked Questions about Parking Permits

1. Do I need a Parking Permit to park on campus?

Yes, all staff and faculty are required to purchase a parking permit to park on campus. In case of emergency and for security reasons, the University Police Department must be able to identify who is on campus. It is necessary for all members of the community, including full and part-time students, faculty, staff members and visitors, to obtain appropriate parking credentials.

2. How much does a Parking Permit cost and how long is it good for?

The cost for the first permit is $10.00 and the permit cost for your second or subsequent car is $5.00 per car. Permits are good for one year, from September 1 through August 31.

3. How do I get a Parking Permit?

Find a computer and log into the College portal, follow the instructions, complete the form, and check your email for your temporary permit. Your permanent decal will arrive in the mail a few days later. You will find the appropriate Parking Permit link as follows: Students – under “Finances”; Faculty – under “Faculty Tools”; and Staff – on the icon bar. It's quick, it's easy and you don't have to wait on line. Call the Division of Business & Finance at 516-876-3191 if you have questions. Permits can only be purchased using a credit card.

4. How do I get my User ID and Password to log into the Parking Permit system?

Your User ID is your e-mail address (without the and your password is the same as your e-mail password. If you need assistance with either your User ID or Password, contact the Help Desk via e-mail servicedesk [at], phone at 516-876-3098, or in person on the lower level of the New Academic Building.

5. Do I need a new Permit if I (a) get a new car and keep my old plates or (b) get new plates for my old car?

The answer is Yes to both (a) and (b); however the new permit will be at the discounted price of $5.00. In the first instance the system will not allow you to get another permit using the same plates as your first car. You will have to go to the Bursar’s Office and purchase a new permit. In the second instance, the system will allow you to purchase the new permit online via the College portal “”. Do this as soon as you can to avoid being ticketed.

6. What should I do if my permit was lost, stolen or damaged?

If your parking permit was lost, you should go to the Bursar’s window to purchase a replacement permit for $5.00. If your parking permit was stolen or damaged on campus, you should go to the University Police building, file an incident report, take that report to the Bursar’s window and purchase a new permit for $5.00. Personal loss, or damage to the permit occurring off-campus, is the responsibility of the individual.

7. What should I do if I do not receive my permit in the mail and my temporary parking permit expired?

If you do not receive your parking permit within two weeks, you should go to the Bursar’s window and explain your situation. They will research the matter and assist you in obtaining the permit or issue you an extended Temporary permit if warranted.

8. I am not a student or a faculty/staff member but I am on campus every day. How do I get a parking permit?

Interns and Volunteers must bring proof of their involvement at the College to the Bursar’s Office and will be issued a parking permit for $10.00. Staff from American Maintenance, Barnes and Noble, Chartwells, the Brookville Center for Children’s Services, the Research Foundation and NYIT will also be required to pay $10.00 for a parking permit. The Division of Business & Finance will coordinate the issuance of parking permits and the collection of funds from these organizations.

Visitors for campus meetings or activities of short duration (less than a day) should obtain a Temporary Pass from the University Police Department at no cost. Empire State College (Trainor House) and HorseAbility employees have isolated parking facilities away from the main campus and are exempt from purchasing the parking permit.

9. What should I do if I receive a message telling me that my order cannot be processed?

If you are a student the message usually means that you have an unpaid balance on your account. You should go to the Bursar’s Office. Bursar staff will review your account, explain what the unpaid balance is about and inform you how it can be taken care of. Once the balance is satisfied, you will need to wait 24 hours before you access the parking permit system again.

If you are a new staff or faculty it is probably because your employment paperwork has not yet been completed. You should go to the Human Resources Department (HR) to resolve the paperwork issue. HR will direct you to University Police who will issue you a Temporary Parking Permit good for 30 days. You should go online and order your parking permit at “” prior to expiration of the Temporary Parking Permit.

If you receive an e-mail stating that your credit card did not go through, try to order again with a different credit card.

If your question is not answered above, call the Division of Business & Finance at 516-876-3191.