New Academic Building
- Wednesdays: 1:00pm-3:00pm
- HI4850.HYW Domesticity in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries
- HI4001.HYW 19th Century
- HI6565.G01 Topics in the History of India
- Ph.D., Department of History, Columbia University, New York, New York
- M.A., Department of History, Columbia University, New York, New York
- B.A., Asian and Middle Eastern Cultures (formerly Oriental Studies), Barnard College, New York, New York
- Women, gender, and family roles and relationships in 19th and 20th century India
- Biographies and Autobiographies of 19th and 20th century Indian men and women
- Indian Languages Studied: Bengali 1977-1978, Kolkata, India; Hindi-Urdu 1964-1968, Columbia University/ University of Pennsylvania; Sanskrit 1963-1967, Columbia University
- Research in India: 1989-1990 (10 months): New Delhi, Kolkata; 1977-1978 (19 months): Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Other Research Trips: 2012, 2005, 2003, 1993, 1987, 1983, 1976
Select publications & presentations:
- A Brief History of India. Factsonfile/ Checkmark Books (paperback), New York, 2nd edition 2011.
- Domesticity in Colonial India: What Women Learned When Men Gave Them Advice. Rowman & Littlefield (Colorado), 2004.
- How to be the Goddess of Your Home: An Anthology of Bengali Domestic Manuals. Yoda Press, New Delhi, India, 2005.
- Growing Up in British India: Indian Autobiographers on Childhood and Education under the Raj. New York: Holmes & Meier Inc., 1983.
- Caste and the Rule of Dharma: a Historical Introduction to Traditional Indian Society. University Modular Studies. Eds. Norman F. Cantor, Barton Bernstein. Morristown, N. J.: General Learning Press, 1975.