- Social Determinants of Health
- Women and Health
- Research Methods
- Medical Anthropology
- University of South Florida, Ph.D. in Applied Medical Anthropology
- University of South Florida, M.P.H.
- University of Florida, B.A. in Anthropology
Smith joined the Department of Public Health at Old Westbury in the Fall of 2015. Smith is a feminist medical anthropologist with mixed methods research experience in areas such as women’s health, sexual health, human trafficking, and gender-based violence. Her most recent research is in Guam, U.S. and Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia, which focuses on gender, migration, sexual and reproductive health, Pacific diasporas, clinical environments, and the political economy of health.
Select publications & presentations:
- 2016 Smith, Sarah A. Examining the Intersections of Gender and Reproduction in Chuuk: Reflections on the Relevance and Utility of MDGs in a Small Island(s) Community. In Naomi McPherson, ed. Missing the Mark? Women and the Millennium Development Goals in Africa and Oceania. Ontario: Demeter Press.
- 2016 Smith, Sarah A. Migrant encounters in the clinic: bureaucratic, biomedical, and community influences on patient interactions with front-line workers. Social Science & Medicine 150:49-56.
- 2013 DeBate, Rita, Daley, Ellen M., Vamos, Cheryl A., Kline, Nolan, Marsh, Laura and Sarah A. Smith. Transdisciplinary Women’s Health: A Call to Action. Health Care for Women International 35: 1113-1132.
- 2013 Smith, Sarah A. Sexual and Reproductive Health of Micronesians: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health 25(1):7-18.
- 2012 Dyer, Karen, Dickey, Nathaniel, Smith, Sarah A., and Hannah Helmy. Human Trafficking in Florida: The Role of Applied Anthropology in Addressing the Problem and Response. Practicing Anthropology 34(4):24-28.
- 2011 Daley, Ellen, DeBate, Rita, Dodd, Virginia, Dyer, Karen, Fuhrmann, Hollie J., Helmy, Hannah, and Sarah A. Smith. Exploring awareness, attitudes and perceived role among oral health providers regarding HPV-related oral cancers. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 71(2):136-142.
- 2010 Buhi, Eric R., Daley, Ellen M., Oberne, Alison, Smith, Sarah, Schneider, Tali, and Hollie Fuhrmann. Quality and accuracy of sexual health information websites visited by young people. Journal of Adolescent Health 47(2):206-208.