African Americans and Mass Media, Women of Color Feminisms, Introduction to African American Studies, Media Studies, Mass Media and Popular Culture, Hip-Hop Cultures, Politics of Media, American Studies Seminar, U.S. Social MovementsBook
- Ph.D. in American Studies, University of Minnesota
- BA in American Studies, Williams College
Select publications & presentations:
- Imagining the Mulatta: Blackness in U.S. and Brazilian Media (Forthcoming from University of Illinois Press)
- “Expressing Race in Brazilian Telenovelas” in Writing About Screen Media, edited by Lisa Patti, 96-100. London: Routledge Press, 2019.
- “The Ride of the Valkyrie Against White Supremacy: Tessa Thompson’s Casting in Thor: Ragnarok” in Mixed-Race Superheroes (Forthcoming, Rutgers University Press)
- “Indigeneity and Fictions of Brazilian National Identity: Quincenntenial Representations of Mestiçagem in Contemporary Brazilian Cinema.” Comparative Indigeneities of the Americas, edited by Arturo J. Aldama, M. Bianet Castellanos, and Lourdes Gutiérrez Nájera, 81-95. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 2012.
Articles and Commentaries
- The Hope of Loving and Warping Racial Progress Narratives, 86 Fordham Law Review 2755 (2018).
- “Netflix and Shifting Global Circulations of Race.” In Media Res. Media Commons. March 2018.
- “Sensual Not Beautiful, The Mulata as Erotic Spectacle.” Revista, the Harvard Review of Latin America. (Spring 2017).
- “Brazilian National Identity and Black Diasporic Politics in Marcelo D2’s Music.” Tensões Mundiais (World Tensions). 5 (2009): 151-169.
- “Hip-Hop Feminist Politics in Antônia.” Revista Literatura e Autoritarismo, (December 2009). http://w3.ufsm.br/grpesqla/revista/dossie02/