- Research Methods
- Senior Seminar
- Immigrant and Refugee Health
- Program Development and Evaluation
- New York University, NYC, Advanced Certificate in Health Policy & Management
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ph.D. in Social Work & Political Science
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MA in Political Science; Master of Social Work
- Foreign Affairs College, Beijing, BA in Diplomacy
Dr. Li joined the Department of Public Health, State University of New York at Old Westbury in the fall of 2012. Before that, he worked as a post-doctoral research scientist at the Institute of Community Health and Research (ICHR), New York University (NYU) School of Medicine and also taught the community health assessment course for MPH program at NYU. Using both quantitative and qualitative methods, his research focuses on the epidemiology and social determinants of chronic diseases, substances abuse and mental health among Asian American population. He has published on topics of social capital, hepatitis B, and smoking in American Journal of Public Health, American Journal of Health Behaviors, etc. His most recent research centers on the social determinants of Hepatitis B screening and vaccination among Asian Americans in New York Metropolitan area.
Select publications & presentations:
- Li, S, Sim, C, Lee, L, Pollack, H.J., Wyatt, L.C. , Trinh-Shevrin, C, Pong, P., Kwon, S.C., (2017). Hepatitis B Screening & Vaccination Behaviors in a Community-based Sample of Chinese & Korean Americans in New York City. American Journal of Health Behaviors. 41(2): 204-214.
- Kwon, S. Wyatt, L., Li, S., Islam, N. , Yi, S, Trinh-Shevrin, S. (2017). Obesity and Modifiable Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors Among Chinese Americans in New York City, 2009–2012. Preventive Chronic Disease,14.
- Man, Guo, Li, S., Liu, J and Sun, F, (2014) Family relations, social connections, and mental health among Latino and Asian older adults: A cross-cultural study. Research on Aging. (First published on February 23, 2014)
- Li, S., Kwon, S. C., Weerasinghe, I., Rey, M. J., & Trinh-Shevrin, C. (2013). Smoking Among Asian Americans: Acculturation and Gender in the Context of Tobacco Control Policies in New York City. Health Promotion Practice. 14(50): 18–28.
- Li, S. Horner, P and Delva, J. (2012). Social capital and Latino American smoking behaviors. Journal of Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation.3 (S1): 83–92.
- Li, S. and Delva, J. (2012). Social Capital and Smoking among Asian American Men: An Exploratory Study. American Journal of Public Health. 102 (S2): S212-S221.
- Li, S., Delva, J. (2011). Social capital, gender and smoking: an Asian American Study. Journal of Health Behavior and Public Health. 1(1), 41-49.