The SUNY-Old Westbury Neuroscience Research Institute (SUNY-NRI) is a multidisciplinary team of researchers investigating human neuropathology from a systems level approach (i.e. from proteins to organs/in-vitro to in-vivo methods/environmental impacts on human dysfunctions). The research is conducted on SUNY Old Westbury’s 604 acre campus providing exceptional hands on and applied opportunities for undergraduate students interested in neuroscience, toxicology, pathology, learning and memory, sensation and perception, drugs and addiction, psychopharmacology, behavioral pharmacology, behavior (characterization of models, associative, operant, instrumental, and higher order cognition), neuropathology, epigenetics, genomics, neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative disorders. Our team integrates many specialties to offer our students a unique, integrated, and holistic educational experience targeted towards an increased understanding of and/or treating insults to the central nervous system.
Outreach Program Goals
CSTEP & LSAMP NSF Supported Programs
The SUNY-NRI works closely with the CSTEP and LSAMP students fostering a early positive and rewarding practical training environment committed to increasing and sustaining diverse and underrepresented groups within the STEM fields.
Increasing Undergraduate Student Interaction with Local Agencies
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Disease Foundation (Gerontology & Client Care)
- Eden II Programs & Genesis (Autism Applied Behavior Analysis & Client Care)
Other agencies interested in conducting research studies and coordinating new student interactions with our NRI-program are encouraged to contact the program director.
Increasing Local Public High School Student Research Experiences
- Herricks High School (New Hyde Park, NY)
- Plainedge High School (North Massapequa, NY)
- Wellington C. Mepham High School (Bellmore, NY)
- Half Hollow Hills High School East (Dix Hills, NY)
- Half Hollow Hills High School West (Dix Hills, NY)
- Mineola High School (Garden City Park, NY)
- New Rochelle High School (New Rochelle, NY)
Neuroscience Research Institute
State University of New York
College at Old Westbury
P.O. Box 210
Old Westbury, NY 11568