The Internal Control Act of 1987 requires that all state agencies and their units, including the State University of New York at Old Westbury, have a formal internal control program. This program ensures that the College’s resources are protected and are aligned with the College’s goals.
Internal Controls take many forms and are necessary for the College to operate effectively. Some obvious internal controls are policies and procedures, contracts and budgets. Some security-related controls are passwords, identification cards, keys, and alarms. Some controls are behind the scenes, like time and attendance records, accreditation standards, the Faculty Senate and the Student Government Association.
The Internal Controls staff seeks to fulfill the requirements of the Act by monitoring the controls implemented to protect College resources from loss, waste, or damage. Through reviews of various offices, programs and activities, the Internal Controls staff provides the administration with recommendations for improving operations and efficiency. The President fully supports the Internal Control Program and has encouraged all employees to be vigilant in their efforts to maintain sound internal controls in their daily routines.
The Internal Control staff is responsible for the following:
- Monitoring and evaluating the College’s overall internal control system through periodic internal control reviews of College departments.
- Coordinating the development and implementation of written College policies which are to be complied with by all students, faculty and staff.
- Monitoring identified weaknesses and required corrective actions.
- Ensuring that employees receive appropriate training in internal controls.
- Completing all SUNY Administration’s reporting requirements as they relate to internal controls.
- Providing assistance to the Student Government Association - review controls, budget and contract matters.
All of us can help strengthen and protect our assets by being alert to activities or situations that may detract, rather than enhance the College’s standing. If you suspect any fraud, waste, abuse or irregular activities within the College, you may report these allegations in person or anonymously in writing to the Senior Vice President, Business & Finance and CFO or the Assistant to the President for Administration. Please provide as much detail as possible so that the matter can be investigated properly.
The Internal Control staff is willing and able to help you perform your job by designing internal controls within the guidelines of the New York State Internal Control Act. We can help create policies, controls and procedures to improve daily operations. We can test controls and procedures to make sure they work as intended. We can review financial controls for events you may have on campus. Please contact us if you have questions.
Campus Center, Room: H-310D
Phone: (516) 876-4220
Fax : (516) 876-3094
Email: athyj [at] oldwestbury.edu
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.