Accounts Payable

The Office of Accounts Payable (AP) is responsible for the timely payment of goods and services requested by the various College departments. In addition, AP reviews and processes faculty and staff members’ travel and expense vouchers. Staff coordinate payments with the Purchasing Office to ensure that the amounts paid are correct and the items are what was ordered.

Reimbursement of travel-related expenses are made according to the Office of the New York State Comptroller's Travel Guidelines. For a faculty or staff member to be reimbursed expenses incurred while on College business, they must complete an Employee Report for Travel Expenses and Claim for Payment (Form AC 132-S can be found under Resources) and obtain appropriate departmental approval. AP staff will review the form and accompanying receipts to verify accuracy and then process for reimbursement. Conference programs or meeting agendas need to be attached. You are expected to keep expenses to a minimum. Tax Exempt Certificates must be used for lodging within New York State. You can obtain one prior to travel from your department’s secretary or you may contact the Purchasing Office. Reimbursement can be expected within two weeks.

For a vendor to receive payment, original invoices must be received in the AP Office. AP staff will cross-reference purchase orders, invoices, and confirm receipt of merchandise.  Once these internal checks are satisfied, a voucher is prepared and sent to New York State for payment. All vendors need to be on the Statewide Financial System (SFS) to be paid, therefore each new vendor needs to complete and submit a Substitute W-9 form which can be found under the Resources. Also, a valid purchase order number should be included on the invoice to expedite payment. SUNY Old Westbury is exempt from New York State Sales Tax on purchases. If sales tax is included on an invoice, it will be excluded from final payment. Contact the Purchasing Office staff for a Sales Tax Exemption Letter.

Accounts Payable staff members are eager to assist faculty and staff who travel on behalf of the College and vendors who do business with the College. They will answer your questions, direct you to appropriate forms, and advise on the most efficient way to receive payment. 

Contact Us

Campus Center, Room: H-310
Phone: (516) 876-3326 or (516) 876-3371