How to Apply

Old Westbury welcomes applications from international students who have completed secondary education and who are eligible to enroll in a university level program. SUNY College at Old Westbury uses the State University of New York (SUNY) application and the Common Application.  A student may apply to multiple SUNY colleges using both applications.  An application fee must accompany the application. 

What documents are required for admission?

The following documents are required for admission. You can visit the applySUNY website to download documents or to fill out online. You will need a complete: 

  • SUNY Application or the Common Application:  The application code for the College at Old Westbury is 46.  Don’t forget to indicate the Agency Code number if a SUNY approved International Recruitment Agency is assisting you with this process (speak with your agent to get the code). 
  • Autobiographical Essay (or SUNY Supplemental Application) of roughly 250 words.  
  • A downloaded and completed copy of documents on the SUNY website. They must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions, Attention: International Admissions.  
  • Data Entry Information: Education History 
  • Letter(s) of Recommendation: One is required for undergraduate and two are required for graduate admissions.
  • Foreign Student Financial Statement 
  • In addition, a letter from the applicant’s sponsor must also be submitted. The Letter from Sponsor form must be notarized. This form will be mailed to you.

The following application documents must be submitted directly to SUNY College at Old Westbury:

  • Secondary school transcripts and certificates: An original copy of the secondary school transcripts and certificates in the original language (for all applicants who have never attended post-secondary education). 
  • Post-secondary school transcripts and certificates (diploma):  Applicants who have attended a post-secondary school must send a copy of their post-secondary school transcripts and certificates in their original language. It is also strongly recommended that a syllabus or college catalog translated into English be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar. This will facilitate in the academic advisement and in transfer credit evaluation process.  
  • An official copy of an evaluation of all non-American educational documents from one of the following foreign credential evaluating agencies: American Association of Admissions or Registrar’s Organization (AACRAO), World Evaluation Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). This is a requirement for all post-secondary documents. All of the evaluated documents must be sent to the College’s Office of Enrollment Services unless an admission advisor waives the specific evaluation (this waiver may be available for a few foreign countries only). Contact the Office of Enrollment Services for further information. 
  • Proof of English language proficiency:  All international students from countries where English is not their native language must show sufficient proof of English language course proficiency.  For a detailed list of acceptable proof of English requirements, please see What are the Admission Requirements? section of this booklet.  
  • Immunization record:  New York State Public Health Law requires all enrolled college students born after January 1, 1957 to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. These records are required upon entry to the College and are kept on file in the Office of Student Health Services. Students must also show proof of vaccination for meningococcal meningitis disease or sign a statement on the College’s immunization form stating that they decline obtaining this vaccine. Download the Immunization Record Form.
  • Transfer students must also submit copies of their passport, visa, I-94 and previous I-20s.
  • Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) for graduate students in the following discipline:
  • All graduate applicants to the Master of Accounting or Master in Taxation program must take the GMAT exam. A minimum GMAT score of 500 is required. For more information, visit Graduate Management Admission Council website.
    • Graduate Record Exam (GRE):  All graduate students applying for the Master of Arts in Teaching, the Master of Science in Education or the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling are required to take the GRE revised General Test for admission to the program.

After all documents are received and admission standards are met, you will be sent:

  • An acceptance letter and package: The acceptance package contains all information required to complete the enrollment process.
  • A request for I-20 form:  This form must be completed and returned to the College’s Office of Enrollment Services 
  • A request for $50.00 tuition deposit: 
  • Students who are living on campus must also submit another $50 for their housing deposit. 
  • A Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) I-901 fee form:  This form is required for all international students applying for a student visa. The fee for the F-1 student visa is $200. The fee for the J-1 student visa is $180. For more information about this fee, visit 
  • Transfer of F-1/J-1 Status form (transfer students only):  This form must be filled out by the Designated School Official (DSO), or the foreign student advisor (RO/ARO) from the previous institution you attended.  Transfer students cannot have their previous college release the SEVIS record until they have been accepted to the College. The SEVIS release date must be indicated on the F-1/J-1 transfer form. Consult with an international admission advisor at Old Westbury to help you determine the release date.