TEXT VERSION Home | Webmail | Student Information System | Library | Policies | Employment Opportunities
SUNY Old Westbury spacer
Prospective Students Current Students Faculty and Staff Alumni Visitors
SUNY College of Old Westbury administrative
spacer About Old Westbury Academics Admissions Campus Offices Library Campus Life Athletics Directory
Administrative Offices
President's Office
Academic Affairs
Institutional Advancement
Business & Finance
Computing Services
Enrollment Services
Human Resources
Maintenance & Facilities
   Services Offered
   Capital Projects
   Departmental Staff
   Work Order Form
Student Affairs

My Menu
spacer spacer spacer
Financial Aid
College Catalogs
Course Schedules
General Education
About Old Westbury
Majors & Minors
On-Line Tour
Life On Campus
Visiting Old Westbury
Campus Map
Campus Events
Marcus Avenue Daycare
spacer spacer spacer

  Home > Campus Offices > Maintenance & Facilities > FAQ


How big is our campus? (acres)
Where is the Maintenance and facilities department located?
How do I get something fixed in my work space?
What are the department's hours?
What constitutes a building related emergency?
Who pays for maintenance services?
How do I get a key to a work space?
How do I arrange an office move or special event set-up?
How do I report an unsafe condition I've observed on the campus?
How do I request transportation for a College-sanctioned event?
How do I report an outstanding effort by a member of the Physical Plant Department?

How big is our campus? (acres)  top
Our campus consists of approximately 604 acres.

Where is the Maintenance and Facilities Department located?  top
The bulk of the Maintenance and Facilities Department is located in the Service Group Buildings on C-Gate Road, just north of the Long Island Expressway. From here, custodial, grounds, automotive, central receiving, bus, and electrical services for the College are managed. Additionally, the department operates the campus Heat Plant, which is located on Ring Road, and you pass it as you come on to campus from the College's main entrance at Route 107.

How do I get something fixed in my work space?  top
Routine maintenance is completed via the submission of a Work Request form. In academic and administrative building spaces, the department secretary makes requests on behalf of building users with division/department head approval. In residential space the residence hall director makes the request.

What are the department's hours?  top
The Maintenance and Facilities Department is staffed Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. In the event of a building related maintenance emergency in off-hours, a building user should contact the University Police Department at (516) 876-3333, which can then contact the appropriate Maintenance and Facilities personnel.

What constitutes a building related emergency?  top
An emergency is defined by the interruption of a building service that could result in significant personal or property damage, or when it interferes with a critical program or system. An emergency can be a roof leak, an electrical circuit breaker "tripping out" in a classroom or student residence room, or a plugged toilet where there are no other toilet facilities available.

Who pays for maintenance services?  top
The physical plant department pays for all routine maintenance in college owned buildings and grounds.

How do I get a key to a work space?   top
A key is distributed after a key request form is approved by a principal administrator, a division dean or department head, or a building manager. There are strict guidelines as to the assignment and collection of building keys.

How do I arrange an office move or special event set-up?   top
Equipment or furniture moves are requested through the Work Request process, and must be scheduled in advance. The Assistant Director of Facilities/Non-Trades schedules all activities relating to moves. In the absence of this person, the Assistant Director of Facilities/Trades assumes that role. Special event requests are handled by the Coordinator of Events and Facilities.

How do I report an unsafe condition I've observed on the campus?  top
Unsafe conditions should be reported immediately to the Maintenance and Facilities Office at (516) 876-3303 or to University Police at (516) 876-3333.

How do I request transportation for a College-sanctioned event?  top
Departmental secretaries can make requests with division/department head approval via a Transportation Request Form. Copies of the Transportation Request Form can be obtained by calling (516) 876-3172.

How do I report an outstanding effort by a member of the Physical Plant?   top
Tell him or her! Better yet send the Director a note, and he will make sure the staff member is appropriately recognized. Maintenance and Facilities staff are competent, creative and customer centered - and just like everyone else - we like to know when we've done a good job.


A-Z Office Directory
spacer spacer spacer

Academic Affairs

Accounting & Business Law

Accounts Payable & Accounting


Alumni Affairs

American Studies


Biological Sciences




Business & Finance

Business Affairs

Business Compliance

Campus Dining

Campus Printing

Center for Academic Advisement & Testing

Central Receiving

Chemistry and Physics

Computing Services



Educational Opportunity Program


Enrollment Services

Facilities Rentals

Finance & Business Economics

Financial Aid

First-Year Experience

General Institutional Services


Heat Plant

History and Philosophy

Human Resources

Institutional Advancement

Institutional Research & Assessment

Internal Controls

Judicial Affairs



Maintenance & Facilities

Management, Marketing & Information Systems

Math Learning Center

Mathematics, Computers & Information Science

OW College Foundation, Inc.


Politics, Economics & Society

President's Office


Public & Media Relations


Purchasing & Contracts


Research Foundation

Residential Life

Residential Network Services

School of Business

School of Education

Services for Students with Disabilities


Student Activities

Student Affairs

Student Health Services

Teaching for Learning Center

The Writing Center

Transportation Services

University Police

Visual Arts

SUNY College at Old Westbury, P.O. Box 210, Old Westbury, NY 11568-0210 - (516) 876-3000
Privacy Policy   Internal Controls