Services offered by the OSSD include:
- Provision of "reasonable accommodations"
- Referral to relevant external agencies
- Sign language interpreters
Procedures for Accommodations/Services
A student enrolled at Old Westbury who wishes to receive accommodations must self-identify as having a disability and make a request to the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSD). The steps are as follows:
- Call or visit the OSSD to schedule an appointment with an OSSD staff member to discuss your disability and types of accommodations and services that may be needed.
- Have documentation of your disability available to review and discuss at the meeting. Since accommodations and services are based on the documentation, it is important that the information is complete and up-to-date. If the documentation is lacking in some respect, you will be given the opportunity to provide the needed information. Assistance in locating a qualified practitioner to conduct an assessment is also available. For information regarding documentation requirements, please contact the OSSD.
- The OSSD will prepare a memorandum for each student's instructors specifying the accommodations needed as supported through documentation provided by the student. Students are responsible for picking up their memos from the OSSD and giving them to their instructors as early as possible each semester. Students should work directly with their instructors to make arrangements for accommodations in each course. OSSD staff members are available to assist both students and instructors in implementing accommodations as they relate to specific course requirements.
- Throughout the semester, the OSSD staff members are available to discuss academic progress or concerns and provide assistance to students. Some direct services provided by the OSSD include help with organization and time management, study and test-taking strategies, and reading and writing skills.
- Students must renew their request for accommodations and pick up memos for their instructors each semester.