Students in this program earn a degree in both Spanish Language, Hispanic Literature and Culture and Middle Childhood Education. Candidates successfully completing this program of study are recommended by the College at Old Westbury to New York State for initial certification as Middle Childhood Education (grades 5-9) teachers. The School of Education Spanish Education coordinator is responsible for advising and approving students as they progress through the School of Education program. Students should also have an advisor from the Modern Languages Department.
A. Spanish Content Requirements
Candidates must complete all requirements for one of the options of the BA degree in Spanish Language, Hispanic Literature and Culture offered by the Modern Languages Department.
B. General Education Courses
Students must complete requirements of the Old Westbury General Education program.
C. Education Core Courses
- ED3742 Middle Childhood & Adolescence
- ED4000 Foundations of Special Education
- ED3900 Foundations of Education
- ED4230 Reading Across the Curriculum
- ED4231 Reading Practicum
- ED4740 Interdisciplinary Instructional Strategies
- ED4083 Methods and Materials of Teaching Spanish in Secondary School
- ED5901 Pre-teaching Practicum & Seminar
- ED5910 Student Teaching & Seminar in Middle Childhood Education (grades 5-9)
D. Special Requirements
- Candidates must earn a grade of C+ or higher in all required courses for the degree, whether taken at Old Westbury or elsewhere.
- Candidates must complete the Oral Proficiency Interview exam prior to completing the program. See the Spanish Education Coordinator for further details.