Students in this program earn a degree in both Biological Sciences and Middle Childhood Education. Candidates successfully completing this program of study are recommended by the College at Old Westbury to New York State for initial certification as Middle Childhood Education (grades 5-9) teachers. The School of Education Science Education coordinator is responsible for advising and approving students as they progress through the School of Education program. Students should also have a Biological Sciences advisor.
A. Biology Content Requirements
Candidates must complete all requirements for either the B.S. degree in Biological Sciences. The B.A. degree is no longer accepted.
B. General Education Courses
Students must complete all requirements of the Old Westbury General Education program.
C. Education Core Courses
- CP2050 The Nature and Development of Science
- ED3742 Middle Childhood & Adolescence
- ED4000 Foundations of Special Education
- ED3900 Foundations of Education
- ED4085 Methods and Materials of Teaching Science in Secondary School
- ED4230 Reading Across the Curriculum
- ED4231 Reading Practicum
- ED4740 Interdisciplinary Instructional Strategies
- ED5890 Pre-teaching Practicum & Seminar
- ED5910 Student Teaching & Seminar in Middle Childhood Education (grades 5-9)
D. Other Requirements
Candidates must earn a grade of C- or higher in all required courses for the degree, whether taken at Old Westbury or elsewhere. Students must earn grades no lower than C in all biology courses.