TEXT VERSION Home | Webmail | Student Information System | Library | Policies | Employment Opportunities
SUNY Old Westbury spacer
Prospective Students Current Students Faculty and Staff Alumni Visitors
SUNY College of Old Westbury academics
spacer About Old Westbury Academics Admissions Campus Offices Library Campus Life Athletics Directory
   Office of Academic Affairs
   Academic Calendar
   Associated Programs
   Academic Advising Center
   Our Mission
   Our Advisees
   Student Responsibilities
   Advisor Responsibilities
   Placement Exam
   Registration Procedures
   Dropping a Course
   Withdrawing From A Course
   Declaring A Major
   Advisement/Registration Calendar
   Helpful Tools
   Community Action, Learning & Leadership Program
   Complete List of Majors
   Educational Opportunity Program
   First-Year Experience
   General Education
   Institutional Research & Assessment
   Research & Creative Activity
   Study Abroad
   Teaching for Learning Center
   Honors College
School of Arts & Sciences
School of Education
Support Resources
Course Schedules
College Policies
College Catalogs

My Menu
spacer spacer spacer
Financial Aid
College Catalogs
Course Schedules
General Education
About Old Westbury
Majors & Minors
On-Line Tour
Life On Campus
Visiting Old Westbury
Campus Map
Campus Events
Marcus Avenue Daycare
spacer spacer spacer

  Home > Academics > Support Resources > Academic Advising Center > Declaring a Major

Declaring a Major

What does “officially declare a major” mean?

When you first apply to Old Westbury, you might have indicated an intended major.  The College at Old Westbury considers that is an official declaration of your major, except for Criminology and any majors in the School of Business.  If you have indicated "Undecided,” "Criminology" or a major in the School of Business, you need to declare a major by filing a DECLARATION/CHANGE OF MAJOR/MINOR FORM with the Office of the Registrar.

The form can be obtained at the Office of the Registrar, the AAC, or any academic department office. The form requires a signature of the chairperson of your major department. Please retain the copy for your record.

You need to declare a major officially by the time you complete 42 credits. Failure to declare a major will not only affect your eligibility for financial aid, but also prevent you from registering for courses.

If your intended major is Accounting, you can declare it when you complete 32 credits with a GPA of 2.7 or higher.  For any other programs in the School of Business, you can declare a major when you complete 32 credits with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.

If your intended major is Teacher Education, you may declare without a minimum credit requirement. However, declaring Teacher Education as a major is different from applying for the program and being accepted. You can apply for Teacher Education twice a year. For further information, please click here or call 516-876-3275.


spacer spacer spacer

Accounting B.S.

Accounting M.S.

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Biology (BA,BS)

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Chemistry (BA,BS)

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Mathematics (BA,BS)

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Social Studies BA

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Spanish BA

American Studies B.A.

Biochemistry B.S.

Biological Sciences B.A., B.S.

Business Administration B.S.

Chemistry B.A., B.S.

Childhood Education (1-6) B.S.

Childhood Education with Bilingual Extension (1-6) B.S.

Comparative Humanities B.A.

Computer Science B.S.

Criminology B.S.

Health & Society B.S.

Industrial & Labor Relations (B.A., B.S.)

Language & Literature: English, B.A.

Management Information Systems B.S.

Mathematics B.S.

Media & Communications B.A.

Middle Childhood Education (5-9) - Biology B.S.

Middle Childhood Education (5-9) - Chemistry B.S.

Middle Childhood Education (5-9) - Mathematics B.S.

MiddleChildhood Education (5-9) - Spanish B.S.

Philosophy & Religion B.A.

Politics, Economics & Law B.A.

Psychology (B.A., B.S.)

Sociology B.A., B.S.

Spanish Language, Hispanic Literature & Culture B.A.

Special Education & Childhood Education (1-6) B.S.

Special Education with Bilingual Extension (1-6) B.S.

Visual Arts B.A., B.S.

SUNY College at Old Westbury, P.O. Box 210, Old Westbury, NY 11568-0210 - (516) 876-3000
Privacy Policy   Internal Controls