TEXT VERSION Home | Webmail | Student Information System | Library | Policies | Employment Opportunities
SUNY Old Westbury spacer
Prospective Students Current Students Faculty and Staff Alumni Visitors
SUNY College of Old Westbury academics
spacer About Old Westbury Academics Admissions Campus Offices Library Campus Life Athletics Directory
   Office of Academic Affairs
   Academic Calendar
   Associated Programs
   Academic Advising Center
   Our Mission
   Our Advisees
   Student Responsibilities
   Advisor Responsibilities
   Placement Exam
   Registration Procedures
   Dropping a Course
   Withdrawing From A Course
   Declaring A Major
   Advisement/Registration Calendar
   Helpful Tools
   Community Action, Learning & Leadership Program
   Complete List of Majors
   Educational Opportunity Program
   First-Year Experience
   General Education
   Institutional Research & Assessment
   Research & Creative Activity
   Study Abroad
   Teaching for Learning Center
   Honors College
School of Arts & Sciences
School of Education
Support Resources
Course Schedules
College Policies
College Catalogs

My Menu
spacer spacer spacer
Financial Aid
College Catalogs
Course Schedules
General Education
About Old Westbury
Majors & Minors
On-Line Tour
Life On Campus
Visiting Old Westbury
Campus Map
Campus Events
Marcus Avenue Daycare
spacer spacer spacer

  Home > Academics > Support Resources > Academic Advising Center > Our Advisees

Our Advisees

The Academic Advising Center gives the Placement Exams to all incoming students. After receiving placement results, students are referred to the appropriate office for advisement based on their class standing and major.

Academic advisors in the AAC advise the following student population:

  • Undeclared freshmen with 0-32 credits completed
  • Undeclared sophomores with 33 – 42* credit completed
  • Transfer students whose major is undecided

* All students must declare a major by the time of completing 42 credits. (Click here for How to declare a major.)

A student who has declared a major officially (please refer to "Declaring a Major") should seek a faculty advisor in the major department. Once a student has declared a major, academic advisors in the AAC will no longer assist them for advisement. Students are encouraged to access CAPP (Curriculum Advising and Program Planning) that provides Degree Audit Evaluations including progress reports on the General Education Requirements.

However, when a student who has declared a major needs our assistance with their General Education Requirements, he/she can submit a General Education Worksheet Request Form (available at the AAC or Click here to download). Upon receipt of a request, an advisor will evaluate his/her academic progress on General Education and generate a worksheet manually. He/she may pick the worksheet up by visiting the AAC. In the worksheet, you will find the name of the advisor who evaluated your General Education progress. If you have any further questions regarding the worksheet, you may contact the advisor and set up an appointment if you wish.

I am an entering Freshman:
As an entering freshman, you will be advised at the AAC or the First-Year Experience Program Office, regardless of your major. EOP Students are seen by the designated advisor in the EOP Office.

I am a Freshman with 0 – 32 credits completed:
Students who have not decided on a major will be seen by an advisor at AAC (876-3044) until they officially declare a major. Please make an appointment with the advisor you have seen for the initial advising.

Indication of your intended major on the College application constitutes an official declaration of a major (except for all majors in School of Business and Criminology). Students in the First Year Program may contact the First Year Office at 3458 or 3937 for advising.

If you are not sure of your major even if you indicated a specific major in the College application, you may see an advisor at the AAC.

Those whose intended major is Business (Accounting, Business Administration, Business & Management, Finance, Marketing, or MIS) or Criminology must see an advisor at the AAC. Please make an appointment with the same advisor you saw for the initial advising. Exceptions are:

  • I have seen an EOP advisor. —> Contact your EOP advisor for advisement.
  • I am a CSTEP student. —> Contact your CSTEP advisor for advisement.

I am a Sophomore with 32 – 42 credits completed:
You will be seen by the AAC advisors until you officially declare a major. You must declare a major when you have earned 42 credits.

  • I have seen an EOP advisor. —> Contact your EOP advisor for advisement.
  • I am a CSTEP student.—> Contact your CSTEP advisor for advisement.
  • I have declared a major.—> Contact your major department for advisement.

I am a transfer student with more than 42 credits but not sure of what my major will be:
An academic advisor at the AAC will assist you to select a major. Once you decide, you should declare the major almost immediately. Contact the department for further assistance.

I am a transfer student with more than 42 credits and accepted to a specific major program, but I also want to see an advisor in the AAC:
Unfortunately, once you have declared a major and been helped by the department, the AAC should not advise you. However, we can assist you with tracking your progress with the General Education Requirements. (Click here for How to request a General Education evaluation)

Assignment of an advisor in the AAC
An academic advisor will be assigned to you when you make an appointment for advisement the first time. The advisor will be YOUR advisor until you declare a major.

How do you determine who becomes my advisor?
Assignment is on a random basis to balance each advisor’s workload.

What if I didn’t like my advisor?
You may request a change, but we encourage students to stay with the same advisor as long as possible.

I really like my advisor at the AAC. Can I continue with the same person after I declare a major?
No. Once you declare a major, you are to see a faculty advisor in your major department. If you haven't completed your General Education requirements by the time you declare a major, or if you are not sure of your progress with General Education requirements, you may request us to do an evaluation.

I missed my appointment with a faculty advisor before the semester was over, and s/he is on vacation now. What can I do?
During breaks in summer and winter, advisors at the AAC will help you. However, there is a limit to what we can do. Thus, we encourage seeing faculty advisors once you declare a major before the session ends. Before the semester begins, you should consult with a faculty member of your major department to see if the courses you have registered for are appropriate for your degree program.


spacer spacer spacer

Accounting B.S.

Accounting M.S.

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Biology (BA,BS)

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Chemistry (BA,BS)

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Mathematics (BA,BS)

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Social Studies BA

Adolescence Education(7-12)- Spanish BA

American Studies B.A.

Biochemistry B.S.

Biological Sciences B.A., B.S.

Business Administration B.S.

Chemistry B.A., B.S.

Childhood Education (1-6) B.S.

Childhood Education with Bilingual Extension (1-6) B.S.

Comparative Humanities B.A.

Computer Science B.S.

Criminology B.S.

Health & Society B.S.

Industrial & Labor Relations (B.A., B.S.)

Language & Literature: English, B.A.

Management Information Systems B.S.

Mathematics B.S.

Media & Communications B.A.

Middle Childhood Education (5-9) - Biology B.S.

Middle Childhood Education (5-9) - Chemistry B.S.

Middle Childhood Education (5-9) - Mathematics B.S.

MiddleChildhood Education (5-9) - Spanish B.S.

Philosophy & Religion B.A.

Politics, Economics & Law B.A.

Psychology (B.A., B.S.)

Sociology B.A., B.S.

Spanish Language, Hispanic Literature & Culture B.A.

Special Education & Childhood Education (1-6) B.S.

Special Education with Bilingual Extension (1-6) B.S.

Visual Arts B.A., B.S.

SUNY College at Old Westbury, P.O. Box 210, Old Westbury, NY 11568-0210 - (516) 876-3000
Privacy Policy   Internal Controls